DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Snow on my dish.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 07:05 PM  
K2eoj

Default Snow on my dish.

Ok, I got the whole promo package and switched to direct tv with the dish. It's a cold snowy night with lots more comming. I'm up on the roof brushing snow off the dish every hour. What did I miss in the fine print?? Do they have a heated dish for extra $$$? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006, 05:39 AM  
CraigFL

You could try waxing it?

Old 10-18-2006, 11:44 AM  
K2eoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFL
You could try waxing it?
Tnx Craig. I'll try that. K2

Great information on this site. I enjoy reading.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:53 PM  
wienerwater

K2...not sure if you an eliptical dish or not, but you can buy a cover that stops snow from gathering on the surface, without screwing up the signal. It seems strange, but are you losing your signal from snow gathering on it, or just the snow coming down, weakening the signal? Up here in northwestern Canada, we rarely have an issue about accumulation, but more from the snow coming down in front weakening the signal, until it lets up some.We don't have much of an upward angle, maybe yours is using more on the elevation.Another thing, who installed it, and did you have a strong signal and quality level, before the snow? Some people get by with a poor/weak signal installation, until the weather socks in.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:09 PM  
K2eoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wienerwater
K2...not sure if you an eliptical dish or not, but you can buy a cover that stops snow from gathering on the surface, without screwing up the signal. It seems strange, but are you losing your signal from snow gathering on it, or just the snow coming down, weakening the signal? Up here in northwestern Canada, we rarely have an issue about accumulation, but more from the snow coming down in front weakening the signal, until it lets up some.We don't have much of an upward angle, maybe yours is using more on the elevation.Another thing, who installed it, and did you have a strong signal and quality level, before the snow? Some people get by with a poor/weak signal installation, until the weather socks in.
Thanks WW. This morning there was snow on it but the storm ended and the signal was fine. Last night during the storm there was no reception until i brushed the snow off the dish. Then the snow would accumulate again on the dish until reception was out. Brushed it off and then we were back again. I checked the signal strength this morning and it was above 90%. I didn't know about checking signal strength last night. I'll check into a cover.

Thanks for the input. Great site. K2

Old 10-19-2006, 05:34 AM  
CraigFL

Actually, when i lived in Wisconsin, I waxed my dish right before winter to keep the snow from sticking. Now here in Florida, it's more important to put a chain on it so it doesn't blow away in a hurricane...

Old 10-20-2006, 05:10 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 94 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Default Wax on wax off.....

Same stuff you use on your ski's or snowboard will work nicely.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply