DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical and Wiring (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/)
-   -   Static spark on top of house! (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/static-spark-top-house-10580/)

mhensley 12-29-2010 09:40 AM

Static spark on top of house!
 
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum - good to be here.

I have an odd electrical/home question. I have been living in a house for 3 years now. On the very top of the roof, we have noticed a small, blue electrical/static spark that constantly buzzes. When it rains, it does not appear. We do live (somewhat) underneath high tension power lines that could be the source. This is a constant worry and problem. Our main bedroom is on the other side of the spark and causes HORRIBLE tv reception and vibrations in our lamps. We are stumped, worried and confused. Can anyone help? Thanks!

oldognewtrick 12-29-2010 01:59 PM

Can you take a picture of the spark and the spot where it originates?

kok328 12-29-2010 03:06 PM

power antenna? Lighting rod shorted to something? Interesting.

mhensley 12-29-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick (Post 52539)
Can you take a picture of the spark and the spot where it originates?

Sure, I will post it tonight...

mhensley 12-29-2010 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick (Post 52539)
Can you take a picture of the spark and the spot where it originates?

Here is the pic

CraigFL 12-30-2010 05:55 AM

It's hard to see exactly where that spark is but I suspect it is jumping from one piece of metal trim to another. Voltage can be induced into metal objects from high power lines. The first thing I would do is to ground the metal at an end to a ground rod and solder a jumper across where it is arcing.

mhensley 12-30-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigFL (Post 52555)
It's hard to see exactly where that spark is but I suspect it is jumping from one piece of metal trim to another. Voltage can be induced into metal objects from high power lines. The first thing I would do is to ground the metal at an end to a ground rod and solder a jumper across where it is arcing.

Will this be safe to do? Will I get shocked?

Speedbump 12-30-2010 08:21 AM

I'm curious as to how close these hi voltage lines are to your house?

I'm sure you know what a transformer is. One coil of energized wire inducing current into another coil and producing AC current on the secondary winding.

I have heard of hi-tension wires running parallel with a fence. The fence has a gate in the middle. Someone opens the gate with one hand and touches the other half of the fence with the other hand and he became a fuse. I don't know if this could really happen, but it's something to think about.

havasu 12-30-2010 09:07 AM

I'd be checking your grounds at your electrical panel. I highly doubt this has anything to do with the power lines, but they might be able to send you someone from the power company to rule anything out, and find the root of your problem as a public relations gesture.

mhensley 12-30-2010 11:52 AM

Thank you for the suggestions! I will try anything at this point. I just don't want my house to catch a far!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:23 PM.