DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > strippng wire 4 scrap???

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 04:43 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 112 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 64

The county that I live in here in MI requires a permit to scrap/recycle copper. Too many homes are being gutted of pipe and wire. Therefore, your remoldeling and/or building permit is required to cash in. In the next county over, no permit is required but, they won't take items of a commercial/industrial nature unless your a licensed professional. People are stealing copper piping (think of all those empty homes due to the economy), copper wire, A/C condensing coils, aluminum siding and garage doors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 05:23 PM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
The county that I live in here in MI requires a permit to scrap/recycle copper. Too many homes are being gutted of pipe and wire. Therefore, your remoldeling and/or building permit is required to cash in. In the next county over, no permit is required but, they won't take items of a commercial/industrial nature unless your a licensed professional. People are stealing copper piping (think of all those empty homes due to the economy), copper wire, A/C condensing coils, aluminum siding and garage doors.
What county are you in? In Wayne county some guys died trying to steal LIVE wiring.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 PM  
480sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
What county are you in? In Wayne county some guys died trying to steal LIVE wiring.
With todays' price for scrap, that's a daily occurance in just about every state. In the last two weeks, there have been 3 deaths in Iowa caused my metal thieves. Two were the thieves themselves, one was a guy who was killed by a gas explosion when the thieves tried to steal the propane line from the tank to his house. They abandonded the idea when they smelled the gas, but enough leaked into the house to cause a fire, killing the homeowner.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:34 PM  
DumpLetterHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam1017 View Post
any body have any tips on stripping wire to scrap i had my house rewired and now have a huge pile of old wire that i would like to scrap but need to strip thanks for any tips
For Household Electrical Wire (Non-Stranded)

find a unmovable object trailer ball on a pickup truck or a metal pole cemented in the ground

twist one end to the object about a dozen times

then get a claw hammer take it to the other untied end twist the wire around it about six times

then pull the wire taunt you should feel some give that is the wire stretching out which you want that pulls the kinks and bends out of it

if you pull too long or too many times it could snap off if it does just retwist and start stripping from that point

if it doesn't break use the claw to straighten out the coiled end one hand on the handle and one on the hammerhead to keep the hammer balanced

pull the plastic all the off to the end using your arm muscles instead of just dead weight and you shouldn't fall backwards when it gets to the end

then go back and use a utility knife to remove the plastic

DON'T BURN THE WIRE THEY WONT BUY IT FROM YOU IF IT LOOKS BURT

if they wont buy it at clean copper price take it and soak it in vinegar till it looks better

there is a way to strip just about anything telephone wire included if I cant strip it there isn't enough copper to sell anyway

Old 05-23-2009, 05:41 AM  
locknut

You may not need to strip the wiring. A scrap dealer in my area accepts the wire as is; check with yours. I suppose that the price offered unstripped would be less though, but it obviates the tedious task of stripping.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:00 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Remodeling View Post
Burn it off.
Not the best advice. This is never a good idea. Some places will not even take it if it is burned.

Can't you get life in prison for that in Cali?

Quick Reply