DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Suggestions for hanging fixture?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 12:17 PM  
TheHammer

Default Suggestions for hanging fixture?

I've had an antique dental light fixture rewired for use in a guest bath. I want to hang the fixture from a 12' ceiling, but I don't like the look of chain. It weighs about 10 pounds... not very heavy, but not light either. I do like the simple look of just the cord, but the existing cord probably isn't strong enough (or safe). Anyone have a suggestion? Anyone know of a load-bearing 'sheath' that the cord run through? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2007, 01:09 PM  
Kerrylib

Take a look at the cable used for low voltage cable lights. It would be more than strong enough. Mount a good solid anchor into the ceiling joists, then bring your power cable through a cover on a pancake box adjacent to the mounting point. Spiral the wire around the cable to get to your fixture.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:35 PM  
TheHammer

Default jacketed alternative?

Thanks for the suggestion K... you're not suggesting powering through the low voltage cable, right? I am hoping to find something jacketed wiht enough rated strength to do the job. Alternatively, I could use a braided sleeve (though not sure how that would look). I keep seeing hanging fixtures that are hanging from the cord... the fixtures appear heavy and the cords look like they are coated with a thick, plastic jacket. I don't even know what to call this kind of cord in order to google it. Any more help will be appreciated!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Hammer:
I would use SJ cable which is often used for extension cords. It comes in 14-3 and 12-3 wire sizes; 12-3 being the heaviest. Use knots in the cord or cable clamps but be sure you don't overtighten; the wire could be damaged.
Glenn

Quick Reply