DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Switch/Outlet not working (6 wires)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 07:49 PM  
fb0605

Default Switch/Outlet not working (6 wires)

I have an outlet wired to a switch. While changing outlet I discovered that there were 6 wires: 1 red, 1 black, 2 white, 1 ground and 1 black back wired. Is this normal? also the outlet does not work. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 01:30 AM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There are 2 possibilities there but more than likely, the blacks should be wired together under the same gold screw on the back of the receptacle, then the red should be under the other gold screw. (white wires under the silver screws) There is a small tab that connects both top and bottom receptacles together, usually this tab is broken off and then the receptacle with the red wire is switched, the other is always on. If it's not working at all, the problem could still be anywhere in the circuit.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 03-23-2008, 05:29 AM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb0605 View Post
I have an outlet wired to a switch. While changing outlet I discovered that there were 6 wires: 1 red, 1 black, 2 white, 1 ground and 1 black back wired. Is this normal?
Yes, sounds typical of a switched receptacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb0605 View Post
also the outlet does not work.
Did it ever work? Did you flip the switch?

Old 03-23-2008, 07:37 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 107 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 64

No this is NOT normal even w/a dual circuit outlet. Get someone in there that can physically inspect what you have going on. DO NOT take any action based on statements that read "more than likely", "probably", "could be", "maybe", etc....

Old 03-23-2008, 10:50 AM  
Parrothead

Likes Given: 1

What's not normal about it? There's a hot, neutral, and switched leg going in, and a hot and neutral going out.

I like SquareEye's advice, except please don't put more than one wire on a screw. Wirenut them together along with a pigtail, and wire the pigtail to the screw.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default just a thought

Like speedy asked, did it work at any time you have lived there. And I'm just going to assume since you said it was wired to a switch, that you did try that switch? And yes the way wiring is hooked to plug is perfect and to code in all 50 I'm 50 mi. north of you, hi neighbor! If it comes down to it, I know an electrician

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited by triple D; 03-24-2008 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply