DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Tips for saving money when hiring an electrician?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 02:32 PM  
gottodo1

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Don't hire one, do it yourself... That's the only advice I can give, but I am an EE so I suppose I'm biased. <-- Punny right?

10/1/11: Bought the perfect house;
11/1/12: 10k & 200 hours
08/1/13: 30k & 400 hours into the perfect house
12/1/13: 35k & 500 hours
02/1/14: 37k & 550 hours
08/18/14: 38k & 650 hours it's starting to come together or maybe I'm coming apart

zannej Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 08:10 PM  
JoeLink

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottodo1 View Post
Don't hire one, do it yourself... That's the only advice I can give, but I am an EE so I suppose I'm biased. <-- Punny right?
I've done quite a bit of home electrical work, but some of this stuff is way over my head. Most of what I know was learned while I lived with an EE

Old 08-07-2014, 08:30 PM  
JoeLink

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So I got my first quote, lots of great information. The best news is that the electrician saw no reason to replace the Square D breaker box, though a little re-arranging of the breakers is in order. Some of the things in the quote seem high, especially considering there will be no clean up on their part, I'll be fixing and painting the drywall afterward, and the place is completely empty.

Here's how the quote broke down:

1. Install an outlet, on a new circuit, directly under the breaker panel in the office. - $225
2. Install a new outlet in the office closet, directly behind a bedroom outlet, on the same circuit. - $175
3. Install a new outlet in the bedroom closet, directly behind a living room outlet, on the same circuit. - $175
4. Install a new outlet in the bedroom, 3 feet above an existing outlet, same circuit. - $200
5. Install a new outlet in the living room closet and eye level on the wall next to the closet, new circuit (this is the only new pull). - $750
6. Install five can lights in the kitchen, four can lights in the living room, and one can light in the hall, wired to existing switches/circuits, with attic access. - $3125
7. Move CATV jack to living room closet, run HDMI from living room wall to living room closet. - $450

What do you guys think?

I have a couple more estimates scheduled for the week of 8/18.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:31 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 794 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

A lot of pros, don't like to work with DIY guys but shop around and find a guy that will work with you. So you can do a bunch of stuff that you can and let him finish it off with the technical stuff.
Don't be to hard on the prices he charges, he buys from a wholesaler that gives him credit. The problem is, his wholesale price is simular to retail that you could buy it for anywhere. He is only trying to get paid for his time running around to get it or stock it in his truck. So you can save if you run around and get stuff, but if you get the wrong stuff he will want to get paid while he waits for you to correct any mistakes.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:35 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Just saw your last post, what is there that you are afraid of doing your self. There is help here.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:45 PM  
JoeLink

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Just saw your last post, what is there that you are afraid of doing your self. There is help here.
I appreciate the vote of confidence. I'm sure I can do some of it. The items on the list I can't do myself are 1, 5, and 6. Reasons being, the HOA requires a person be licensed/bonded/insured for attic access, and I don't feel comfortable adding circuits and/or doing work on the breaker box itself. At the rates quoted, I'll very likely be doing the other items myself and putting the $1225 into something else.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:57 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Turn off the main breaker and open the side of the box that has the breakers and then tell us what you are afraid of.
If the can lights are included, they are or should be the better ones that are rated for heat to work with insulation up there and you want to make sure they deal with that properly as well as look after vapour barrier.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:14 PM  
JoeLink

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Turn off the main breaker and open the side of the box that has the breakers and then tell us what you are afraid of.
If the can lights are included, they are or should be the better ones that are rated for heat to work with insulation up there and you want to make sure they deal with that properly as well as look after vapour barrier.
I'll remove the cover next time I'm there and see what I'm dealing with.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:55 AM  
gottodo1

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The costs ARE high compared to doing it yourself but when you consider his costs they're really not that bad, they're just not DIY costs. . All of those are fairly easy and there's TONs of threads here on each topic. Plus with Neal & Villa around, what could really go wrong ~

10/1/11: Bought the perfect house;
11/1/12: 10k & 200 hours
08/1/13: 30k & 400 hours into the perfect house
12/1/13: 35k & 500 hours
02/1/14: 37k & 550 hours
08/18/14: 38k & 650 hours it's starting to come together or maybe I'm coming apart

CallMeVilla Likes This 
Old 08-08-2014, 12:05 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottodo1 View Post
The costs ARE high compared to doing it yourself but when you consider his costs they're really not that bad, they're just not DIY costs. . All of those are fairly easy and there's TONs of threads here on each topic. Plus with Neal & Villa around, what could really go wrong ~
All my advice is garranteed for as long as it take to hit the close button

Quick Reply