DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Ugly cold light from fluorescent puff diffuser

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 PM  
jleon1

Default Ugly cold light from fluorescent puff diffuser

I live in an apartment with a very dated 4-foot fluorescent tube fixture with a plastic puff light diffuser that looks like this:

4 2 Lamp 32 Watt T8 Fluorescent Puff 120 Volt - 20-PLPF248E-120

It gives off the most awful cold light--like in an office or hospital. Even if I change the tubes to warm light fluorescent, it won't help much because the color/coating on the diffuser is a cold icy white. I read about the new LED tubes that you can insert directly into the fixture, but I don't know if they'd give off a warmer light. And again, it wouldn't make much difference because of the diffuser color. I can't find a yellow warm white diffuser on the internet. I can do some minor modifications to the fixture, as long as I can change it back to the way it was when I move out without too much trouble.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 05:55 PM  
CharlieO

A quick solution is get some colored celophane and tape it to the inside of the diffuser

Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 AM  
Johnboy555

The color of the diffuser is white, being so it will transfer whatever color bulbs that you install inside it. We each have our preferences as to what color bulbs that we like....

Old 10-09-2011, 04:42 AM  
diane21
Banned

I try to avoid fluorescent, unless I need them urgently. I find led strips and high power LEDs generally good I bought strips and high power spots, both are brilliant, and I use some of the strips as main lighting as well in my living room, corners of the ceiling.

Last edited by diane21; 10-10-2011 at 03:18 AM.

Quick Reply