DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Underground wiring from basement to toolshed

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 10:58 AM  
reformedman

Default Underground wiring from basement to toolshed

I'd like to have an electrician install electricity to my toolshed in the back yard. The toolshed is 75 feet away from the house. The electrical panel in the house basement is directly inline with the toolshed so it is a straight run.

From the outside wall of the house to the toolshed are the following obstacles. 5 feet of gardening soil, then a 4 foot wide asphalt walkpath and then the rest of the run is lawn.

I plan to leave the electrical part of the work to a qualified electrician but my question has to do with conduit. I want to have the conduit installed before calling the electrician in order to reduce the cost to me on the work. What machines can I rent from HomeDepot or Lowes to do everything I will need?

Is there an horizontal auger? Should I drill my hole in the house first inside-out or outside-in? What should I use to dig up a trench for the lawn? I live in morris county new jersey so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 61

A "Ditch Witch" will trench the run for you.
My Opinion:
Let the electrician do the penetrations for you as he may have a different plan as to where he wants to enter/exit the home.
You may want to consult with the electrician prior to running conduit.
They have the equipment to sew a direct burial line in the ground without digging a ditch or running conduit.
The cost may not be that much more to have him do the whole job.
Ask for a estimate of cost on both options.

Last edited by kok328; 01-11-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 100 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Call the electrician before you run the conduit. You need to make sure you run it deep enough, use the correct conduit, use the correct size, properly mark it when filled, have it inspected before you fill the hole etc.

Quick Reply