DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > vandals mess needs fixing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 04:49 PM  
likkensmith

Default vandals mess needs fixing

Well i bought this trailer that has been vandalized. They took the breaker out of the house and as far as i can see they cut the wires going threw the house right as they go into the roof from the breaker heading to there prospective outlets. Which dont leave me much room to stretch them to a new breaker box. what would be code and best to splice the wires hanging out of the roof that i need going to the breaker? only need to reach about 2 to 3 ft down to the breaker.And since I'm talking to professionals since my power pole is like only 6 ft from the room that houses the breaker wouldnt a above ground line from the breaker on the poe the the house breaker be easier? and would that be code? Also is there any way i can figure out which wires went to what part of the house any tricks for this would help. thanks guys for any help...

Last edited by likkensmith; 10-24-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 99 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Replace them. Splicing is not a good idea.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:20 PM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Get a amp volt meter tester test the wires make shore your loops are in tacked and not cut.

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

Old 11-12-2011, 09:31 AM  
evstarr

All splices need to be made in junction boxes. If all the runs were cut off in one place, you could theoretically use one large enclosure for this. It must remain accessible permanently so no burying it in a wall.
Before you proceed, since you said this is a trailer, you must identify if the existing lines are aluminum or copper and proceed accordingly.
Whether or not you can put in overhead service depends on your local jurisdiction.
As far as identifying what runs where, one way is with an electronic circuit tracer that connect to one end of the run and injects a tone on the conductors that the receiver can pick up. Anther way is to make up a plug with hot and neutral shorted and use an ohm meter to find them at the panel side. Note that light switches in the on position will complicate this unless the lamps are out of the fixtures.

Quick Reply