DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Want to see something scary

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 388 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 161

I wish I had pics from all the scary wiring I have found over the years. One of my favs was an open receptacle on the stud wall with a shower. Have already told about the ground wire clamped to the gas pipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 AM  
ohmy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
I have to ask:
How many houses are up to Code?
How many have fires because they are not?
There is nowadays no way to get truthful answers about this off the Web.

I know people can have a "zero risk bias" but it is pretty costly to the HO if the Code people also have it. I doubt there is an incentive, at least with the NEC, to do a cost/benefit/safety analysis. I asked them. And I don't believe there are any consumer advocates on the Code Panels.
Would people buy AFCIs with their nuisance tripping if they didn't have to, for a zero or marginal increase in safety?

There is such a thing as Evidence Based Medicine, where they actually run impartial studies to see if medical techniques work, and some doctors are acting like this is such a breakthrough idea (. . . Duh. . . !) The book, "The Last Well Person" has more info on this.
If this evidence-based technique were used in many other fields it would put our capitalist society out of business.
Imagine vendors having the Burden of Proof that their products/techniques actually work.
You could make this argument about all safety laws. Seatbelts are a major inconvenience and you may never "need" one. People "get away" with drunk driving everyday but that does not mean you ought to do it.

Open splices are dangerous and lead to fires but not every splice will lead to a fire. Just like not every drunk driver will cause a fire.

All building codes step on homeowners' rights as free individuals, but that is a discussion for the political forums

www.TECertifiedElectricians.com

Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM  
Austin
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Wow! The bathroom light in the kitchen is funny.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM  
drewdin

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 79

i think this was my house.. I wish i took some pictures before i renovated my mess

Old 01-30-2013, 01:35 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmy View Post
You could make this argument about all safety laws. Seatbelts are a major inconvenience and you may never "need" one. People "get away" with drunk driving everyday but that does not mean you ought to do it.

Open splices are dangerous and lead to fires but not every splice will lead to a fire. Just like not every drunk driver will cause a fire.

All building codes step on homeowners' rights as free individuals, but that is a discussion for the political forums
I'm making a slightly different argument, and it's for the ratio of marginal safety gained vs. price paid, and the lack of incentives for Code Panels to even consider this calculation.

With a circuit breaker that costs $10 you may get $10 worth of safety. Probably the same with GFCIs although before they came along people probably weren't dropping like flies. With both there is a moral hazard, in that people who know there is a backup will be less careful.

With AFCIs, an arc is supposed to be not a gas, liquid or solid but a fourth state of matter which is 'plasma'.
I doubt this will ever be properly characterized, let alone capable of being detected with a reasonably low rate of false positives.
I asked NIST about a standard for 'arcs', if they have a 'calibrated arc', and so far they have not replied.

With seatbelts you get other injuries but almost certainly the mortality rate is reduced. Same with airbags, you may get deafened or be burned by sodium azide.

It may be a discussion for Game Theory forums, but once politics is involved the whole thing gets subverted/perverted.

You ever heard of Stevia? Because it occurs naturally it cannot be patented. Some politicians are screaming "Restraint of free trade".

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 01-30-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:53 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
I didn't do any of this...it was all in the house when I bought it...all the spliced in connections have been boxed in properly or removed, since some went to fixtures I removed. They weren't soldered either, just bent around the exposed wire.
If that is your fix there are a few issues.
You need to leave longer tails in the box, and you need to ground the box. You should also strip off more sheathing, leave only about 1/2" inside the box.

Quick Reply