DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical and Wiring (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/)
-   -   Want to track down problem with half of my old house wiring out (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/want-track-down-problem-half-my-old-house-wiring-out-15693/)

jteam 03-12-2013 06:03 AM

Want to track down problem with half of my old house wiring out
 
Ok I have an older home with older wiring and a fuse box with buss and glass fuses in it, problem is while I was working out of town last summer my family decided to hook up a filter for an outdoor swimming pool they were given and when they plugged it in my garage it knocked out the power to the garage and the front room power in the house,while the remaining power stayed on in the kitchen,bathroom,and two bedrooms, I have replaced all the fuses in the electrical panel box and still have the problem.the wires from the garage go to the panel but also go up in the attic where it hooks into the outlets and lights for the front room so I am guessing it could have blown a wire up there. I plan on getting everything upgraded which is what I was going to do before I became layed off from my job and when I become employed financially again but for now I would like to be able to just restore half the house back to the way it was for now.I will take all advise like a man and look forward to your thoughts,Thanks.Joel.

bud16415 03-12-2013 06:13 AM

Sounds like they blew one of your main fuses. If you have something like an old 60 amp service at the top there is mains on one side in a pull out block. Have you checked voltage at the panel between both legs of the 220 and ground. Each leg should be 110 volts. If the one leg is zero most likely that fuse is blown. You said you have replaced all the fuses but my thought is that you just changed the screw in fuses.

nealtw 03-12-2013 11:15 AM

If you had fuses bigger than 15s, I would check as much wire and connections I could before replacing them and looking further.

kok328 03-12-2013 03:55 PM

If your not comfortable entering the fuse panel, you can test voltage on any 240V appliance (i.e.- electric stove or dryer) and see if you have 120V hot to ground on each leg.

jteam 03-12-2013 09:08 PM

Thanks for the answers to my post, the bids fuses have been replaced so since I like to take things in steps what suggestions for my next step in troubleshooting this problem should I take ?

jteam 03-12-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jteam
Thanks for the answers to my post, the bids fuses have been replaced so since I like to take things in steps what suggestions for my next step in troubleshooting this problem should I take ?

I meant buss fuses of course.

jteam 03-12-2013 09:15 PM

I meant buss fuses of course I my last post

nealtw 03-12-2013 11:46 PM

Buss fuses, the screw in ones?
Do you have any 240 volt appliances, stove, dryer, hot water tanks? Do they work?
Can you post a photo of the fuse box and related gear?

Sparky723 03-13-2013 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealtw
Buss fuses, the screw in ones?
Do you have any 240 volt appliances, stove, dryer, hot water tanks? Do they work?
Can you post a photo of the fuse box and related gear?

I second Neal. Pics would be nice

bud16415 03-13-2013 05:39 AM

Yes a photo would be a good starting point having verified you do have both legs up and running. The suggestion of checking at a 220 outlet if you have a fear of poking around inside the box is good, but on the other hand if you don’t feel comfortable with a meter and using it calling in a pro is a good idea. The question of is your 220 appliances working is an excellent clue also given they are connected into the main fuse box. In a lot of these older houses it was common as demand grew to add a second 220 box off the meter for just a dryer or something. In that case the dryer could still work fine having lost one leg. Are you sure you don’t have a sub panel with fuses or breakers in the garage that someone tapped into for the front room. That would be my only guess.

If the pool pump was shorted the draw would be much higher than what the pump is rated at and its unlikely you burned up wires unless someone had upsized the fuses somewhere along the line. I would rule out that there isn’t a secondary fuse someplace controlling the garage and feeding back to the front room.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.