DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Want to track down problem with half of my old house wiring out





Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 AM  
jteam
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 16
Default

So far The main fuse box and I can only find one anywhere both in the garage or any other location,it has a main 240 with 60 amp cartridge fuses in it and the same thing for the range they both sit side by side. There are four screw in type 30 amp fuses just below where these set, very small home so these suffice.and I have replaced every one of them,all appliances work.the garage has a light switch, one outlet,on the same wall and directly on the other side of the wall in what we call the washroom is another outlet, all of these do not work including the garage door opener.i can see where a wire runs from the wall in the garage up into the attic,I am guessing that it drops down to the front room which has two outlets and a light that do not work. The rest of the washroom, kitchen,two bedrooms, bathroom ,storage food pantry room , hall light all electrical works in those.thanks again for trying to help.



__________________
jteam is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 AM  
JoeD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 891
Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts

Default

30 amp fuses are too large for your general receptacles and lighting. If these are for your receptacles and lighting then your circuits are overloaded and you need a major electrical upgrade. Could be something has burnt up from overloading.



__________________
JoeD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 07:22 AM  
Sparky723
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD
30 amp fuses are too large for your general receptacles and lighting. If these are for your receptacles and lighting then your circuits are overloaded and you need a major electrical upgrade. Could be something has burnt up from overloading.
I agree. Even if all was working, your setup is very old. Cartridge and glass fuses? Yuk. It's time to upgrade and get safe. Since its a little house, you could probably have whole house done for $1000-$1,500. That why you would have all of the problems and rising safety issues.
__________________
Sparky723 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Erie Pa, Pa
Posts: 727
Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default

With 60 amp service the lower screw in fuses should be 15 amp each. That was the major problem with these old setups the homeowner would keep upping fuse sizes and adding load. The wires are not sized for those current draws though. Now that we know this you could well have taken a wire out when the pump shorted. Let’s say you had some wire that could take 20 amps and it was connected to a 30 amp fuse the wire would go before the fuse. In your case the pump made the current go real high and blew a wire someplace. The worst case would have been if the load was high for the wire size but not enough to melt it. In that case it would just start heating slowly melting the insulation and maybe cause a short or just the heat causing a fire.

Joe D is correct you need an upgrade and until then you need to put smaller fuses in the bottom and manage your load if you start popping fuses.

Finding your problem you will have to get a volt meter or a tester and work your way out the circuit until you don’t get voltage. Start at the box and work your way to the garage. When you find the leg that’s broken you will have to replace that wire for now.

If you haven’t done it before you should have the fuses marked as to what they power. Unscrew each one and have someone tell you what went out. One of the 4 is the garage that’s where you have to start.

__________________
bud16415 is online now  
inspectorD Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Erie Pa, Pa
Posts: 727
Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default

I agree upgrading would be in order. There really isn’t anything unsafe with glass fuses as long as people didn’t upsize them or put a penny in behind it when the fuse blew and they didn’t have a replacement fuse. A fuse is a very sure way to interrupt power albeit out of date. When your house was built or wired they felt 60 amps for a house was a huge amount of overkill all most people had was a radio and a few light bulbs. Now we have all kinds of power guzzling stuff and 200 amp is more the norm.

Does yours look something like this?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/bnegrelli/IMG_20110809_231004.jpg

__________________

Last edited by bud16415; 03-14-2013 at 07:46 AM.
bud16415 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 AM  
nealtw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: vancouver, b.c.
Posts: 7,799
Liked 549 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
30 amp fuses are too large for your general receptacles and lighting. If these are for your receptacles and lighting then your circuits are overloaded and you need a major electrical upgrade. Could be something has burnt up from overloading.
I agree with Joe, you may have burned down the house with this set up.
Change the 4 fuses to 15 amp and let us know what lights don't work when you take each fuse out.
__________________
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 AM  
nealtw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: vancouver, b.c.
Posts: 7,799
Liked 549 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

Default

Guys: He has already said, he can't afford an upgrade right now. He likely has 2 fuses that are not being used.

__________________
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 AM  
jteam
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 16
Default

Yes the set up that Neil's picture post is the same as mine except that I have handles that allow me to pull the cartridge fuses out of the panel.

__________________
jteam is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Erie Pa, Pa
Posts: 727
Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default

I don’t think he has fuses not being used. Normally fuses don’t get upsized unless there is a repeat overload. Sounds like he may have a line balance problem depending on what he does out in the garage and what in the house is on that circuit. 60 amps in a small house could be fine if he has gas hot water , dryer, stove, no AC etc. and has the rest of the house equal on the four 15 amp fuses. And one 220 appliance.

With or without an upgrade he needs to find the problem and knowing now the fuses were sized double he has to dig into the walls or ceiling or wherever the open circuit will be. Once he gets the smaller fuses in place he may well find he’s blowing a fuse from time to time with too many things turned on at once.

If he has to he can disconnect wires in junction boxes and ring them out once he narrows it down.

__________________
bud16415 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 AM  
CallMeVilla
Senior Member
 
CallMeVilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,067
Liked 273 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

OK, JTeam, you have received great advice here. I know, you just want your house to function until you can get the $$$ for a full upgrade. My sense is you may have blown a wire somewhere --- and probably escaped a fire by raw luck. You need to trace your power from the box to the rest of the house (particularly where there is no power) to find the break (interruption).

A simple $15 device (picture below) and a lot of crawling in the attic can get you there.

It beeps/lights in the presence of electricity on the hot side (not the neutral). BE CAREFUL not to touch anything except the probe to the wire. Check from the box first to see that every leg is powered. If so, locate each feed wire in the attic to see which ones are powered and follow the trace. At some point, the circuit will no longer respond. In that area, your break or burned connection will be located -- possibly in a junction box or receptacle. In an old house, sloppy people may not have used a j-box -- only splicing wires and using tape.

Money well spent would be to get help doing this work. It might go faster and safer for you.





__________________
CallMeVilla is offline  
inspectorD Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with wiring in closet light tomsmyth Electrical and Wiring 3 11-16-2010 06:12 AM
Half Work Half Dont.....going nuts! guz168 Electrical and Wiring 4 10-14-2009 07:38 PM
Half Work Half Dont guz168 Electrical and Wiring 3 09-01-2009 07:13 AM
Cost of wiring a house for TV / Net cheesefood Electrical and Wiring 4 11-10-2008 09:47 AM
Aluminum wiring throughout the house ITParalegal Electrical and Wiring 5 06-04-2007 12:02 PM