DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Wattage question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 PM  
WestBentley

Default Wattage question?

If you are using the Energy Star flourescent lights, can you put in a light that is lower wattage than the max for your fixture, but is "equivalent" to a higher wattage in conventional bulbs?

The two overhead fixtures we chose turned out to be not as bright as we expected, we are currently using Energy Star bulbs that are 27w but "equivalent" to 100W which is the max wattage for our fixture. The room is a little dimmer than we'd like (kitchen/dining) for the purposes of food prep, etc, but it's not too far off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2007, 05:09 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Yes, the actual wattage is the cause of the heat. We use several compact flourescents and have noticed they are a little dim when first turned on but they will power up in a few minutes.
Glenn

Old 03-22-2007, 05:56 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 102 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The fixture rating are based on actual wattage not fictional equivalent wattages posted on CFL bulbs.
Note most CFL lamps are not rated to be installed in closed fixtures. They still overheat. They also contain mercury and are hazardous waste to dispose of.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:48 AM  
WestBentley

Ok, so if I get CFL's that are higher than 27w and made for enclosed fixtures, I'm good to go? These are still dim even after powering up. I thought we had the right bulbs for enclosed fixtures but will have to double check, we aren't living there yet so the bulbs aren't on for very long, just the portion of the evening we work there and it's dark, maybe 1-2 hours.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:48 AM  
Quattro
Massive Tool Belt

I can't wait for LED technology to really get going for residential lighting. There's some products out there, but it's not widespread. I'll probably skip the CFL craze altogether!

Old 03-29-2007, 07:47 PM  
AndyD5
The Cable Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to AndyD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I can't wait for LED technology to really get going for residential lighting. There's some products out there, but it's not widespread. I'll probably skip the CFL craze altogether!
I think the flashlight and machine trades are dominating the development in that department and the people who make light bulbs are more interested in making satelite dishes and getting more money in less time than spending it on new revolutionary developments. I could be wrong but it's just what I've seen. ( i.e. Phillips/Magnavox)

-Andy the cable guy

I love to work on my house would love to help you with yours!

Quick Reply