DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Weatherproof Low Voltage transformer Hardwired

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 10:56 AM  
vistav

Default Weatherproof Low Voltage transformer Hardwired

This is really a product question I guess. I am having trouble locating something (which may not exist).

I would like to hardwire a small 12V Transformer on to an existing "switched but empty" receptacle box on the (unprotected) exterior of my house. Is there such a product that is weatherproof, can be hardwired to a switched receptacle, mounted to the exterior wall at the receptacle, and will transform 110v to 12v AC? Oh, it should have a built in timer too....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 06:02 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

yep.
Check your local big box home improvement center for replacement low voltage outdoor lighting transformers.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 04-24-2008, 06:37 PM  
vistav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Eye View Post
yep.
Check your local big box home improvement center for replacement low voltage outdoor lighting transformers.
You think the local big box will have something that hardwires, n a weather proof manner, to a single gang box? All I have seen there is plug in models. I'll check again.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 93 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Yes, what you are looking for is included in most non-solar powered lawn/garden lighting sets (timer and all).

Old 08-05-2009, 04:54 AM  
locknut

I have in the past found 12v transformers that would serve your purpose, but that's been a long while ago. You may find such in a full-blown electrical store. What I also have done from time to time is the mounting of a device in a steel or aluminum box which I sealed for weathertightness. I used gaskets, O-rings, sealing sprays, etc. to do so. I home-built an outdoor 12v power supply with an electric eye and relay which has been controlling garden lights for over 20 years without fail.

Last edited by locknut; 08-05-2009 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply