DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Where can I find this???

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 08:45 AM  
Rockrz

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If I'm going to do that, why not just use the wiring that goes to the current fixture?

I'm not looking for extra work....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 326 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
If I'm going to do that, why not just use the wiring that goes to the current fixture?

I'm not looking for extra work....
If you are going to use the wiring on the fixture to feed the plug I see this as a problem, you wern't planning on doing this were you?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:25 AM  
nealtw

Liked 682 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

1. Fish a wire down the wall to a new plug and install an off the shelf light fixture, three hours on a bad day.
2. Build some kind of box to take a light and and box for an outlet, that may or not be up to code and may have to be removed later, time to complete, unknown.

I think most of us would just run the wire, but I'm sure you could make a plug work at the light. The improtant part will be the gfi protection.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:50 AM  
Rockrz

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

OK, all of the breakers in the panel are about to be replaced with GFCI protected breakers for safety. That part is a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
I think most of us would just run the wire
You'd suggest running a wire from the breaker box, thru the attic, down the wall, just to have a outlet in the wall?

Why not just run it off of the light fixture and save myself alot of hassle?
It's going to be GFCI protected, so what would be the problem?

Granted the outlet will only be live when the light is turned on, but I can live with that.

And, since it's going to be GFCI protected I don't need to put a plate over it when I move out someday since it will be up to code.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 AM  
nealtw

I did mean taking it from the light box, somtimes the power goes to the light first so you may be able to get unswitched power there, but switched is fine too.
Adding a gfi plug to the first plug on each line is preferred over breakers as the gfi can trip and leave the lights on and would likely be cheaper.
The plug in the bathroom does need to be gfi protected and if the fan or switch is really close to the shower the whole room should be protected.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:55 AM  
Rockrz

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'm not only going to install GFCI protected breakers, I'm also going to install GFCI protected wall plugs through out the entire house.

I was already thinking about this since we are going to be staying there a while and it'll be safer for us while we are there... not to mention earning browning points with the land lady!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM  
nealtw

If you search the net you will find lots of arguements about two gfis affecting each other and at least not needed. If you add one plug, you wire the power to the line side and the other wires to the load side, everything down stream is protected. When ever you can you take lights from the line side so they stay on when the plug trips so sometimes it will take more than one per line. Saving the landlady some money should count for something too.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:07 PM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Of course receptacles are legal. Receptacles in light fixtures are no longer allowed. Let's get past that silliness. Since you have the landlord's blessing, do it RIGHT.

Your best bet is on the side and away from the sink. There is switched power to the existing light. Normally, you do not mix receptacles and lights. I have seen many instances where power was taken from the light switch to the receptacle ... Your light might dim whene a blow drier is turned on ...

Your best bet is to get power from an adjacent room receptacle and fish the wire into the sink area. If you have no problem with wall repair, you will be in business very soon. Remember -- you MUST have a GFCI to protect the circuit

bath-receptacle.jpg  

Old 03-25-2013, 12:32 PM  
nealtw

Villa; The batroom is supposed to be on it's own cercuit. In an older house the closest plug outside the bathroom will likly be on the same cercuit anyway. If he drops into the same bay or goes under the vanity he can use a drop in box, no wall repairs.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 PM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Yes, Neal, I know that but we are dealing with a newbie and limited grasp of the situation. Can I tell him to run a new circuit back tot he main panel? Doubtful. Will he pop for a pro to do the job? Doubtful.

How do we help folks like this?

Quick Reply