DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Why is conduit not used?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 AM  
pawned79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
They try to run TV cables as short as possible for better performance and the only people complaining are the ones trying to use the attic for something they shouldn't.
I'm complaining, and I'm not trying to use it for something I shouldn't. I work in the aerospace and defense industry, and I never see such a mess in a professional environment. I have built a few server rooms and installed server systems into vehicles, and wire management, for the simple sake of knowing what is where, is always very important.

Additionally, you are right that people try to run TV cables as short as possible for better performance, but they are wrong. Even analog signals are not "that affected" by a few feet. Digital signals are affected even less. Even twisted pairs allows for digital lines to run with power lines, while in the analog days, you could definitely induce a lot of noise into your TV picture.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There's a big difference between a server room and an attic. If I walked into a server room that looked anything like my attic, I would freak- BUT, it's an attic we're talking about here.

I worked for a very large ISP in their technical support dept for a while and a few feet can, indeed, make a difference. I used to have people switch out 25' cables for a more realistic 6' cable and their service significantly improved. If your electrical lines are crossing your TV lines, that will cause issues as well as phone lines.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 AM  
TxBuilder

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you are using your attic like most others use their attics, toss the boxes up there and don't worry about them until the holidays come around. Repeat as needed.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:53 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 860 Times on 768 Posts
Likes Given: 1486

I do agree, a little pride would go a long ways with a lot of these people.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:07 PM  
Piyush

Default Why is conduit not used?

HI,

This is because if the place is that much of a mess then your contractor was sloppy, simple as that. Most guys will run cables square to framing and support as needed. If the cables are run diagonal it is highly likely that it is not a complaint installation.

[URL="http://www.timepoint.ie/time-tracking-recording-software/"]Time recording[/URL]

Old 08-11-2011, 01:02 PM  
TxBuilder

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush View Post
HI,

This is because if the place is that much of a mess then your contractor was sloppy, simple as that. Most guys will run cables square to framing and support as needed. If the cables are run diagonal it is highly likely that it is not a complaint installation.
True. Very true. Maybe check your local code, without raising any eyebrows, of course.

Quick Reply