DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > wiring upgrade question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 05:22 PM  
casadeclarks

Thanks for all the input here. OI think that I will end up just making each room on its on circuit and change the set up in the kitchen to have 2 individual circuits. This may be a bit overkill but oribably best in the long run. I will just have to spread it out a little over time. Thanks again.
Robert

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 01:40 PM  
ohmy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You do not have to upgrade the wiring but you should. Generally, here in Atlanta the inspectors require at least GFI devices and smoke detectors when you replace the panel. Replacing the panel does not fix the branch circuit problem that you have. You need more circuits in the house.

www.TECertifiedElectricians.com

Old 02-01-2010, 07:18 PM  
SGC622

Here is my opinion on what you should do if you are doing all the work yourself(which i do not reccomend)
-Change out the panel to most likely a 100amp service and when doing so do not go by the fuses when you are getting new breakers go by the size of the wires that you are pulling off of the old fuse panel. you want the right protection this time around.
-If possible when adding the old circuits to the new panel if they are not long enough/or knob and tub, box them on the studs or in a convienent place near the panel and run a piece of romex to the panel from that box obviously connecting them together color to color in the box, making sure not to neglect connecting the ground.
-if they are knob and tube strip a piece of romex sheath about 6 inches long and sleave it over each wire and individually bring them into the box with a connector and like above run a piece of romex from the box to the new panel. then once thats situated and everythings powered up back to the way it was. then run a new outlet to where the kitchen is or two if you feel like updating it the right way and add outlets, there you go you fixed the problem,

if you go with a contractor, just tell him to do a service change and to add an outlet for the microwave. if he comes back at you with oh well the inspector wants me to update this and that and this, he may be trying to soak you for every penny your worth, at that point call up the electrical inspector for your town and tell him/her what you are having done at your house, and if what the electrician said is really required. and you know where to go from there.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:11 AM  
ohmy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy petey View Post
Wow. Seriously?
IMHO this is really bad advice, even with the "temporary" part.

Running new circuits to the kitchen is the solution. I personally don't see a need for a temporary fix.
Yeah...I totally agree!

Old 02-02-2010, 05:07 PM  
casadeclarks

Thanks again for the information. I had thought that it should be OK to use the existing wiring and just add additional circuits where needed. I will be doing this work myself and going next week to pull any needed permits.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:13 PM  
SGC622

i dont know about in your state but in massachusetts homeowners can pull electrical permits except for anything to do with the panel,meter(the service in general) so try and find that out before you draw attention to yourself with the inspector.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:57 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default if it meets code,

You could run addt'l circuits but run each all the way back to the panel rather than cascading them from existing junctions.
That way you can add addt'l breakers if needed, later, and have the flexibility of apportioning the loads on each breaker.

The average house draws 4A @ 240v continuously; it's the peak loads that call for 200A or higher service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmy View Post
Yeah...I totally agree!
Duly noted and recorded.
Two against cord-lengthening, ~151 abstentions.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 02-03-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 AM  
ohmy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Lol..............

Old 02-13-2010, 12:40 PM  
casadeclarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmy View Post
Lol..............
why the "LOL"

well I got real busy at work again this week. It was supposed to off but I got called in so I will have another slight wait till I get started on this project.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:15 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by casadeclarks View Post
so I will have another slight wait till I get started on this project.
It's good practice to check each new circuit added before wiring the next one. At least check for voltage drop at ~10A to insure connection integrity for hot, neutral and ground.

Quick Reply