DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical and Wiring (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/)
-   -   Works then does not work (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f9/works-then-does-not-work-12307/)

a1aprt 10-14-2011 07:25 PM

Works then does not work
 
I have an electrical outlet that according to my tester light everything is correct. I try to plug our fireplace blower in and it does not work. I can run an extension cord to another outlet and the blower works fine.

paul52446m 10-14-2011 08:53 PM

Works then does not work
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1aprt (Post 62041)
I have an electrical outlet that according to my tester light everything is correct. I try to plug our fireplace blower in and it does not work. I can run an extension cord to another outlet and the blower works fine.

Electric it interesting to work with. If you have a hot line and a earth ground,
it will lit up your test lite. and show you that you have 110 volts. But you need the power co.s neutral and a hot line to run a motor. Check for lose wires. sounds like you are losing your neutral wire. Paul

kok328 10-15-2011 04:14 PM

Depending on the type of tester you have it should read "Open Neutral". If you are using a voltmeter and have an open neutral, you will show 110V between hot and ground but, not between hot and neutral.
As Paul indicates, check the outlet for burnt or loose wires.
If you find nothing there, then you will have to trace it back to the next connection that the outlet is linked to.

BridgeMan 10-15-2011 07:55 PM

And of course, cut the power to the outlet before pulling the receptacle--little "tickles" can become big jolts in a hurry!

JoeD 10-16-2011 05:00 PM

What type of tester are you using? What does it read when you try to run the blower?

houseDIY2312 10-19-2011 04:47 PM

Definitely sounds like a loose wire. Perhaps, the wire engages when you plug the item in because there is pressure. This can be dangerous! I would take the advice above and cut the power to inspect!

Raindem 10-23-2011 09:28 AM

Do any other appliances work in that plug? Try something low draw like a table lamp.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 PM.