WIfe Is Bugging me

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
For a little fish pond in our back yard!
I have no idea where to start It looks easy when I saw a show on how to do it yourself but heck I have do not know where to begin she told what she wanted and for it to have rocks so there could be a small waterfall
It is this easy or should I bring in a pro

We bought in a pro just digging he darn hole was a pain in the you know what
Now you said she wanted a waterfall also Well I wish I would have put one of those in I think I will go see if I can still get one of those installed or see If I can do it myself,well see if hubby can do it :D
I would love to hear the water noise it is so relaxing

I posted the following for someone earlier... the extra dirt can be used for a waterfall or river. You have to put it some where so put it next to the hole you dig for your pond. Use the liner to control the water flow. Place different size stones for the water to flow over. Let your imagination be your guide.

Simply just dig a hole the size and shape you want and put a liner and fill it with water. The best liner I have found is the rubber roofing used on flat roofs. They are available from most roofing suppliers. They are available in ten and 20 feet wide and as long as you want. Important that you get it much larger than the hole and you can cut the extra off. the liner has to go across the hole and down the sides. you can place stones or any thing that meets your taste on the edge to cover the liner. Be sure you leave at least a foot of material on the top edge so the liner does not slide down into the pool. Place rocks or something on this edge to hold it in place.

You can place a pump and filter and fountain and make water falls all in similiar ways. you can plant trees, shrubs, ornamentals and water plants. Many types of fish will do very well. If you are in a hard reeze area you may bring the fish in and winter them inside. This is a whole different subject.

Some home improvement show on TV have shown how to do this and they can be pretty wild and crazy. Let your imagination go!!!

Less expensive than the rubber roofing would be a vinyl liner used in above ground pools. Check with pool companies in your area that might have odd sized or rufused liners they might sell cheap.

I built my pond several years ago but did not have fish in it. It was 12-18" deep. I had to rebuild it when we decided to add fish so it would not freeze solid. I have 2 levels in it 24" and 36" deep. I use a stock tank heater in the winter to keep it from freezing over solid and keep one pump running to aerate the water. The fish sleep at the bottom when the water temp drops below 50 deg.

Back