Cracks in sink

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birch

Reaction score
I have a sink/counter combo that was here when I moved in. I am not sure what material, it's just a common sink/counter combo, I guess some sort of hard plastic.

Anyway the sink has all these cracks forming in it. They aren't deep but they are very unattractive, it looks really dirty.

Is there a way to patch them cosmetically or do I have to pull the whole thing out? What formed these cracks?

I think those kinds of sinks crack because of the constant hot and cold water on them over a period of time. I would toss it and get a new one or get a seperate sink and Counter top.

This is cultured marble unit, very common since the 70's. Some bathtub refinishers will still refinish those bowls, but many will not. My daughter bought a kit from Home Depot and touched up hers just so she could sell her condo. It didn't look great, but it passed inspection. These sinks tend to continue cracking. There is a new product called KwikBowl, where a sink is dropped inside the old sink. Kind of like a bathtub liner, but for a sink. Finished product looks like a new drop in sink.

Yea, no good solution. I havent seen the liner. Those tops come in standard sizes and are not too expensive. I would just replace it.

But - while you are at it - why not replace the faucet?

Oh - but the vanity will look old, do that too

and the tile

and the paint

and the toilet and tub

Its all got to match you know.

Have fun

Back