Help Please - Leaking Bathroom Faucet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4p

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2 handle faucet in my bathroom that is leaking from the hot water side. The handles are not attached to the faucet but actually in the counter. The problem when I shut off the hot water, the handle stops at my mirror, but needs to go a little further to actually shut off the water completely.

I had the same problem with the cold side but was able to fix it by taking out the set screw, playing around with the handle and putting the set screw back in. I tried it with the hot water side, but no luck.

I can't figure out how to remove the cartridge. The caps on the top of the handles look to be decorative only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try to post some pictures. I apologize but they seem to be coming out sideways.

FaucetHandle1.jpg

FaucetHandle2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you should be able to lift the handle off and reposition it properly. I don't think it's necessary to remove the cartridge. However, if you do need to remove the cartridge, make sure you have turned off the water supply first. There is a cartridge removal tool available for purchase at Home Depot, Lowes etc., but I have been successful without it.
After removing the handle, unscrew the escutcheon and then replace the handle. You can then lift the cartridge out using the handle. I have done this on a Moen faucet, but I can't say for sure whether it will work on other brands / models.

Reactions: m4p
Thank you very much for the reply, Slownsteady. The handles actually just unscrew off from the stem. The problem is that the hole it screws into is facing too far back when I shut off the water, so the handle really needs to be able to go back another 1/2 inch or so, but the mirror is in the way.

I'm going to try what you said to see if I can get the cartridge out, as I think the cartridge is probably shot. The faucet is at least 16 years old. Without the handle being on, I can shut off the water, but I have to turn it hard.

Does the handle slip when you turn it?
If you unscrew the handle, and then turn the stem of the cartridge to "off" (no water flowing), you should be able to put the handle back on in the desired position.

The screw to remove the handle is under that cap.
Most just pop off, even a butter knife may work to pop it off.
I use a small flat bladed screw driver.

It looks like the handle threads into the body and the body is held onto the stem with a small allen head set screw. Loosen that, lift off and reposition the body and re-tighten the set screw.
Oops...never mind. Reread you post.

Last edited:
Does the handle slip when you turn it?
If you unscrew the handle, and then turn the stem of the cartridge to "off" (no water flowing), you should be able to put the handle back on in the desired position.

Thanks, that's what I tried. I was successful with the cold water side, but for some reason I just can't get it right on the hot side. If I open up the hot water all the way, and then shut it off in a quick manner, it won't drip. But if I don't open the water all the way and shut it off, it does drip.

I'm going to have to try again but I need a better allen wrench. The one I have is attached to a holder thing with other allen wrenches and it keeps folding into the holder.

The screw to remove the handle is under that cap.
Most just pop off, even a butter knife may work to pop it off.
I use a small flat bladed screw driver.

The top of the handle is really odd. It has what looks to be a cap, but I think it might just be decorative. I felt it with my fingernail and between the cap and the top of the handle is completely smooth.

Do you know the brand of faucet?, that might be helpful.

I wish I did. I can't find any indication of what brand it is. At least when I fixed the dripping shower, the handle said Delta right on it. This faucet has nothing written anywhere that I see.

Just yesterday I installed a new faucet. There were no screws at the top. Instead, the decorative handle cover screwed down on the valve body.
Another thing you could look for is whether the valve is slightly loose and spinning just a bit as you close the tap. You can check that by looking underneath as you or somebody else moves the handle. If so, you can tighten the nut underneath.

Just yesterday I installed a new faucet. There were no screws at the top. Instead, the decorative handle cover screwed down on the valve body.
Another thing you could look for is whether the valve is slightly loose and spinning just a bit as you close the tap. You can check that by looking underneath as you or somebody else moves the handle. If so, you can tighten the nut underneath.

Thank you. I looked very carefuly again at the top. If they are indeed caps, they are snug as a bug in a rug :) Seriously, I'm afraid if I tried to remove the caps, I would scratch everything up. I still think they're decorative.

I really like your idea to see if the valve is loose and will definitely check it out tomorrow.

Also, I was having a hard time with the allen wrench I have (getting a new one tomorrow) and so the set screw is not completely in and tight. I just hope I didn't strip it. I'm assuming I could just take the set screw to a hardware store and get a new one?

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Just to be clear; there may be no caps at the top of the faucet. Very recently I bought and installed a bathroom faucet that had no exposed screws. I don't know how long this design has been in use and I don't know if it is only a Moen feature. But the handle is integrated into the valve cover and it screws onto the exposed part of the valve. here are some pics to help explain:

IMAG1516.jpg

IMAG1517.jpg

IMAG1519.jpg

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate all your help. I think Frodo's diagram of my handles is right and that the caps are removable (the caps are just so small they looked like just a decoration). Thanks for the pics, Slownsteady. I wish mine was like yours, it looks like it might be easier.

I'm sure the caps have never been removed before so I hope it won't be too difficult to remove. If a knife doesn't work, I was thinking of using a tiny flathead screwdriver, maybe putting masking tape over the end so as not to scratch up the cap.

I did get another allen wrench size 3/32. I'm at work today but plan on continuing this fun project tomorrow. Thanks again!

I"m ready to pull my hair out. I got the wrong size allen wrench. I need a 5/64, not a 3/32. I also tried to remove the caps. No luck whatsoever. I also went under the sink while someone else jiggled the handle. Things below are tight. Argh!!! Oh well, I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Thanks again, guys.

Back