Improper plumbing & trying to remodel bathroom/laundry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that wrap from home depot will be fine, the pre made corners are handy but add $20 to each window. You can make the corners with the peel and stick, just a little learning curve. I have never used the corners.

When you find that stuff they will also sell little plastic horse shaped pieces 1/4" thick for under the window and 1/8" to go behind the lower flange. That allows water to get out from around the window.

Could she just run the vent for the toilets up inside the closet.

yes, but it would require offsetting the toilets

and that is never a good idea, also would lose a closet

I think that wrap from home depot will be fine, the pre made corners are handy but add $20 to each window. You can make the corners with the peel and stick, just a little learning curve. I have never used the corners.

When you find that stuff they will also sell little plastic horse shaped pieces 1/4" thick for under the window and 1/8" to go behind the lower flange. That allows water to get out from around the window.

or you can just make an X with your utility knife and fold the cut part over

housefloorplanroughplumb1 (1).png

yes, but it would require offsetting the toilets

and that is never a good idea, also would lose a closet

It wouldn't take that much of the closet, but if you don't think it would work fair enough, I just thought it would be easier than digging into the bathroom wall.:)

B2 is roughly 140" x 72 1/8".
B3 is roughly 140" x 110 3/8" (if you count the 34 3/4 x 29 3/4 area for the door).
B2 vanity runs all the way across the room (72 1/8") and is 24"D. The lav is centered around 36".
B3 vanity is 48"W x 22 1/2"D with lav in the center around 24". I believe the center of the drain is around 9 1/2" to 10" from the back wall (I forgot to measure drain front to back for other bathroom).
B2 toilet drain center is about 32" from the east wall and about 74 1/4 from the west wall.
B3 toilet drain center is about 17 1/4" from the east wall and approximately 41 3/4" from the edge of the vanity. No idea why they spaced it like that.
Here is a very rough diagram. I'll have to do a better one later.
Is it legible?

Editing bc I started the reply before I saw some of the posts.
Frodo, thank you! That is a great idea for wrapping the window.
Neal, did you mean horseshoe shaped? I'm trying to picture horse shaped plastic pieces and having a good chuckle.

Since my bro will be coming in on Tuesday, I'll be up in Alexandria so I might convince the mothership to let me pop in to HD to look around. They have riding carts so she can come in and ride around.

I'm fine with digging in to the wall behind the lav in B3 because I was thinking of building a box for a custom recessed medicine cabinet (if it will fit between the studs-- marking the studs when light conditions are better is probably my next task-- I can see where the panels join up and see the nails so it's fairly easy). I used some handy frog tape to hold my measuring tape in place while I measured a few things earlier, but I need more light in that bathroom.

At this point I'm thinking of running the drain and vent for the toilet in B3 in to the wall with the tub's plumbing and running the one from B2 to the wall behind the vanity of B3 (since it seems to be closer to that wall. If the wall panel behind that lav gets ruined, I can put up some 4'W beadboard to cover it. But I think I will need to go look under the house for joist locations. I do know that one of them is directly under the tub overflow-- hence the notched joist for the trap.

I suppose with a worst-case-scenario, I could cut in to the wall behind the toilet in B3 (but the only walls I can cut into in B2 are the ones surrounding the tub or underneath the vanity).

bathroomgroupsplumb1.png

Last edited:
or you can just make an X with your utility knife and fold the cut part over

That's been out of code for about 15 years and is the cause of many problems.
I know this is getting old but here it is again.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2VOrk1MuWY[/ame]

I know this is a weird request, but can you go back threw this 36 pages and delete crap we do not need
i would make going back looking for stuff a lot easier

i am looking for the tub and shower units you said you are using

btw, that 1.5x1.25 reducing washer, it comes with the ptrap

Last edited by a moderator:
With the new system it is excepted the water will find it's way between the window and the the rough framing so we water proof the rough framing and give the water a path out, so plastic is called for.
I am taking about vinyl windows with a nailing fin.

i believe this is a preference type of thing

around here they use both

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LThwsXMhwiQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LThwsXMhwiQ[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycdgjUZf0H0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycdgjUZf0H0[/ame]

depends on the window you set, the code says, as per manufactures recommendations
different manufactures have different recommendations

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back