Concrete pad with existing columns on 1x1ft pillars

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother had an area 4x13 ft that is currently gravel and under an overhang of the roof of my house. That roof is supported by 3 4x4 wooden posts that sit on 1x1ft concrete footers that stretch over 2 ft deep.

We plan to pour concrete to a level 2 inches higher than the height of the concrete footers. If we pour concrete over the entire 4x13 ft and cover the existing footers, I fear that the concrete pad will heave and crack since the post footers won't heave... Am I correct that I need an expansion joint there?

What is your location? What is the frost line, if any, in your area? What kind of soil is under the gravel section under your roof? Does water drain into this area or is it kept pretty dry?

What is your location? What is the frost line, if any, in your area? What kind of soil is under the gravel section under your roof? Does water drain into this area or is it kept pretty dry?

Pittsburgh PA - "Soil Freeze Depths for Pier and Strip Foundations Without Skirting" is listed as 48"...

The soil is mostly clay and abuts the front of the house so there is some back-fill present. There is also ~3" of sand under the 4" gravel bed.

The lady of the house has some plants in front of the porch and that are watered sometimes.

Around and don't add concrete on top as the frost can heave it up but it may want to settle too. So allowing the sidewalk to move is the safe thing to do.
But I have seen people get away with just pouring concrete over and around it and even drill rebar into it. But all that is taking chances.

Back