Source of leaks?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanigator

Reaction score
Relevant images:
View from the outside: http://imgur.com/a/08xgP
View from the inside: http://imgur.com/a/em7jQ

Not sure if it's 1 or 2 that's the source of the problem of the leaks. I know the setup looks a bit weird but this is inherited from the previous owner, so...

I would like to know the potential severity of the leak if the source as from 1 vs. 2. That way, I can figure out which one to caulk and find the right resources to learn how to caulk up the right places with the right products...

It's leaking from the line where the blind is located. The leak was drops at a time. There's no mold around the window (not sure if it would be associated with 1 if that were the case).

Thanks in advance!

I would start at the right side where it looks like the header board is warping...

Take a water hose, start at the bottom and slowly work your way up until you can recreate the leak.

How hard is it to replace the header board from your knowledge?

It is probably leaking at the flashing above the board. Replacing the board isn't hard, I believe doing the flashing right will require working with the stucco. I believe that board is really a trim detail and not structural. The structural header is inside the wall and the floor joists are likely running perpendicular to that board, given the overhang. If it isn't structural I'd be tempted to look at replacing it with cellular PVC instead of wood. A popular brand of cellular PVC is Azek.

I agree with sparky. The board isn't the problem, its most likely the flashing above it. Can you provide a view of the flash from above and a close up?

I agree with sparky. The board isn't the problem, its most likely the flashing above it. Can you provide a view of the flash from above and a close up?

I've taken these pictures closer to the flash board.

20170807_102928.jpg

20170807_102943.jpg

20170807_102947.jpg

Back