Sequential Cardboard Box Sizes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidOak

Reaction score
My parents are going to be moving soon, and looking at the age of many of their boxes... I don't think they can handle transportation. Some of them are easily thirty years old.
I decided to buy some new boxes to transfer everything into, and it got me to thinking. Boxes, by and large come in random sizes and the space they occupy is often wasted due to inconsistencies. So here's what I want:
Boxes that come in a middle size(say 12x12x12)
Half size(6x6x6)
Double size(24x24x24)
Handles would be a plus.

This way, you can perfectly stack everything and preserve the flexibility of different sizes.

I'll need something on the order of 200 boxes(my parents have a LOT of stuff). So big orders are not really a problem.
Any ideas?

Look on Creigs list in the free area, there's always people giving away boxes and save some money.

U-Haul sells boxes. I don't remember what sizes they are, but I think it was something with similar design. I would check them out.

Lowes seems to have pretty good prices on boxes. 70 cents for their small box which I used lots of. In regards to "nesting" them I'd think that collapsing them would be the most compact way of storing them. Just my .02 for my very first post since joining.

Looks like the move will be delayed by a month or possibly more.

To be clear, I'm not asking "where to find boxes" and money isn't really the issue. I'm perfectly happy with $2 a box, provided they fit my criteria. I'm wanting boxes that come in half sizes and double sizes(from the medium sized).

Some of the best boxes are banana boxes from your local grocery store. They have a hole in the bottom but the paper that lines the bananas or scrap cardboard will take care of it. They are strong for most moving needs and have handles. I want today they are About 8x12x16ish

Worked in a grocery store In high school and these were very popular! Have used them a few times myself as well. With the quantity you are talking it might be worth checking out... A busy store will get 30-50 a day!

Are you simply looking to maximize the use of truck space in a sort of OCD kind of way or are you looking at long term storage? If the latter, I prefer rubbermaid branded storage containers ( the sterlite ones at home depot are crap if anything hits the corners).

The common box sizes at the uhaul store are a bit of a compromise between efficient use of space and what the average person can actually lift once you fill them with say, books.

If you are looking for those specific sizes, go online to manufactures of boxes.

I moved from Louisiana to Virginia a few months ago and faced about the same issues you describe. Check with your local moving companies. I found some of them sell packing boxes retail in about the sizes you describe. The boxes are usually of a heavier, stronger cardboard than those at Lowe's and U-Haul. Also they usually have specialty boxes such as lamp, mirror/picture boxes boxes and wardrobe boxes. I found that using a few sizes was best because they can be packed on the truck more securely that a mish-mash of odd sizes. Stick with the small and medium size and as few big boxes as possible. Big boxes get real heavy; real quick. Good luck & have fun.

Latest posts

Back