Patio Leveling?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

try2diy

Reaction score
The patio in my back yard is made of two large concrete slabs. They have settled and now are lower towards the house. Water collects when it rains, and I do not want water draining towards my foundation - I would prefer it drains away.

What can be done to elevate the low sides of the slabs to correct this condition?

You could replace the patio. You might also considering some leveling concrete and then fan it away from the foundation. I've never done this before so it's hard to say exactly what*could be done. I guess I might give the leveling cement a try if you are concerned about water entering your home. The concrete may look different than what's there already.

Look in the yellow pages or similar for "mudjacking". The process consists of a contractor drilling some 1 1/2" holes in the slab and injecting a cement/sand/mud mixture under the slab to level. After leveling, the holes are patched. It is a old technique that is well suited to level and/or correct drainage of slabs, sidwalks. Usually, it is a fairly quick two man job

It is frequently listed under concrete contractors as slab raising, concrete raising, slab leveling, mudjacking, etc.

It is surprising what results you can get. Certainly much cheaper, faster and less mess than a tear-out and replacement.

Mudjacking. sounds like a plan, if not a funny term. Roughly - any idea what such a job would run +/-?

Only the contractor looking at it can tell the costs and explain what to expect.

It has been around on commercial and some residential jobs for many years, so it has some cost validity.

Back