Inaccessable outlet - remote control?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdennisjr

Reaction score
So...among my many to-do items on the house list, I have two electrical outlets that need some love. Both are typical outlets and are just above the top of two sections of my kitchen cabinets. The idea is that these would be nice to plug in "top of cabinet stuff", such as rope lighting, Christmas lights, who-knows-what. Unfortunetly they were a late add during the construction process and I failed to think things through all that great - so they are not switched. They work great - but I don't feel like crawling up and down onto my countertops every time I want to switch them on or off.

So I've done some looking for a plug-in or a replacement outlet that could be remote controlled. I've seen a few things on the X-10 but never anything that convinced me that was the way to go. I'm not a huge fan of putting in hard-wired switches as the two outlets are on different walls - so I'd be making rather large holes in walls that were just completed less than 3 months ago...sigh, hind-sight really is 20-20.

Any suggestions from any one?

If you can put the switch derectly below the receptacle you not need any large holes. The hole for the new switch should be large enough to fish a wire straight down from the receptacle.

X10 products are very popular.

A real electrician should be able to get both plugs switched from one location. Probably with no damage to walls at all if there is access above or below. Maybe close in cost to. Just a thought, good luck....

Latest posts

Back