Converting to Gas, what's recommended for summer/winter?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumbar1024

Reaction score
I have an extremely old oil furnace that the home warranty people could not find a coil replacement for. They sent us a check and we're on our own. I want to switch to gas anyway. Assuming that we can run a gas line and switch, what are my options for heat and hot water on a summer/winter hookup? I have baseboard heat. What are my options here? I should mention that I have a split level home that I plan to run duct work throughout the home for central air. Not sure if that changes my options. Thanks for the advice!

I have an extremely old oil furnace that the home warranty people could not find a coil replacement for. They sent us a check and we're on our own. I want to switch to gas anyway. Assuming that we can run a gas line and switch, what are my options for heat and hot water on a summer/winter hookup? I have baseboard heat. What are my options here? I should mention that I have a split level home that I plan to run duct work throughout the home for central air. Not sure if that changes my options. Thanks for the advice!

First you have to decide if you want to heat with hot air or hot water.
If you want to reuse your baseboard radiators then you could install new gas boiler. domestic hot water could be a hot water maker tied to boiler, or conventional water heater. Run your ducts using a air handler with air con. coil
in it and a condenser out side.

If you want to heat with hot air then you could use a 95 percent furnace with air added to it. Conventional water heater or on demand instant heater.
Paul

Back