HELP!!! Dangerous Window - Can I Repair or Do I Need New Window?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALiterateGal

Reaction score
Upon recently moving into my new 10 year old home in Central Florida, I discovered that the lower sash of one (aluminum?/vinyl?) window would not remain in place when opened. Fortunately my cat was not on this sill when the sash collapsed making me aware of this situation.

Upon examining the window closely, it appeared that the lining of one of the cylinders in the side jamb had cracked. (Photo of cylinder in place and cylinder with grooved metal interior are attached, for reference.)

Can anyone please advise me of this part's name and whether replacements are available? Can the existing window be repaired or do I need an entire new unit?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Window Jamb & Cylinder.jpg

It is called a spring balance. If your windows tilt in, tilt the sash in. Shile the sash is horixontal, lift the bottom of one side up. That will allow you to remove that sash completely. Remove the metal arm from the carrier (the thing the bottom of the sash hooked on to). Then remove the screw at the top of the spring balance and take it to a window store. Look in the phonebook for replacement window manufacturers in your area. They cost about $12 each.

That being said, the sleeve being cracked is cosmetic. The mechanism can still operate normally. It may simply need to be adjusted. There is a special tool for that that you can buy forvabout $10 or you can try using vice grip pliers to grab the metal end and give it a couple of turns to put tension on the spring, and then reinsert the metal end into the carrier. Reinstall the sash and it should work.

One more idea... Look closely at the channels on both sides of the sash with the window fully open. There should not be any visible hardware. In other words, you should not see the carrier. If you do see the carrier, it means your spring balance came unhooked from the carrier and that is the cause of the problem. Open the window and take pictures of both side channels and post them here if you are unsure.

Two man job and rather tricky cause spring is under load when installed. If it doesn't hold the window up you have to uninstall and wind some more.

If you simply need to adjust the spring tension on a tilting window, you don't need two people. Simply tilt the sash in and remove it completely. Then take the window tool I explained earlier, grab the lower projections of the metal balance arm, pull that down slightly and out towards the center of the opening, and allow it to unwind itself. Then push that metal arm into the balance leaving about 2 inches showing. Using the window tool, grab the lower projections again, give the tool 3 or 4 turns and then pull down and reinstallbthe metal arm on the sash carrier. The key to making this an easy job is the window tool. If i can find a picture or link i will post it.

Back