Help with gluing metal banding to formica countertop

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bungalowbabe

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post, and I wish I had found this site when I began my kitchen reno...

I'm ready to install my new '50's gloss red Formica countertops. I found metal banding to complete the retro look, but I'm wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew...

Any suggestions in regard to the best adhesive to use?
Will I need to use screws as well as glue? (the corners are rounded)
How to achieve a perfect mitre in the corner where the two sections meet?

I would hugely appreciate any tips you folks could share with me!

Thanks,
Holly

......and where on earth does this banding go?:) Is this an edge treatment?

I grew up in the fifties and was close to a cabinet shop in the family and yet this is a first for me. Must be a Canadian thing!:)

......and where on earth does this banding go?:) Is this an edge treatment?

I grew up in the fifties and was close to a cabinet shop in the family and yet this is a first for me. Must be a Canadian thing!:)

I grew up in the 50s too and I remember it. It is a shiny, usually formed strip that is attached to the edge of the countertop. I remember screws being used to fasten it. Glue only might be difficult, especially if there are curves. Holding it in position until the glue dries/sets would be difficult then-- you would probably need to make a special adjustable fixture.

Yes, Bud, it is the edge treatment, just like those awesome old fifties dinette tables have, and like the counters in diners had that wonderful "ripple" chrome band about 4" wide... Rather than having the cabinet shop apply a strip of the red countertop material to the edge, it will look fabulous to have a strip of shiny chrome following the curves. (actually I think the stuff I'm using is aluminium) As I said, I may have gotten ahead of myself, but the banding I bought has a tapered 1/4" lip, so obviously it is meant for this purpose.

I am just second-guessing in terms of the flexibility of the this material and wondering if it will take the curve by only being glued in place. I wondered if anyone on the site had perhaps worked with metal banding and could offer some tips.

Regardless, it's do or die this weekend as the countertops are being installed. We'll figure it out!

Cheers,
Holly

Ah-h-h-h! It all comes back to me now but I don't remember seeing it in home environment applications. That's OK, I see what you want to do now!:)

I assume there are no holes pre-drilled into the metal???

I'm thinking there should be holes to be able to address the rounded corners.

IDEA!?

If you don't want the holes with small screws you might use "contact adhesive" applied to both surfaces. Allow both the surfaces to dry then carefully begin to apply the edging. Probably you will need a helper. When you get to the corners (before you begin the bending) clamp the metal to the edge (somehow) so it doesn't "lift" from the tension of forming the curve.

Once the curve is formed and glued it may stay in place but I have my doubts. I do remember seeing screws used in some of those applications so maybe that idea isn't out of the question.

And YES, I'm sure you are dealing with aluminum.

Thank you Bud and Craig! The rounded corners are quite generous - they follow the template I drew from the 50's chrome and formica table I have been dragging across the country through a dozen or more moves since 1979. I suspect you are correct and that I will need to use screws as well as contact cement. I've been playing with a strip of the metal and it is surprisingly forgiving.

I'm using the same aluminium bands to wrap the corners of a free wall (vertically mounted). I know, I'm going chrome crazy, but hey, it's a 50's kitchen!) I'll post before and after pics when done. I kept all the original hardware, cleaned and polished it and it looks brand new. The cabinets are white with cherry tart red face frames. I have mastered the art of cutting-in after 3 coats of red against white. Nobody warned me...

The floor will be commercial grade 12' square black and white linoleum tiles. Will lay them out diagonally and checkerboard style and see which I like better.

I'm almost there, except for painting the 15 cabinet doors. I found the coolest "painter's pyramids" at Lee Valley. Little plastic pyramids to place under the doors and hold them off the ground. You paint one side, flip it over and rest it on the pyramids and then do the edges and other side. Avoids the potential runs and other booboos I've made in the past trying to suspend doors by means of little hooks and twine from the rafters downstairs...

Anyway, wish me luck!

Holly

Well, rather than having the cabinet shop apply a strip of the red countertop material to the edge, it will look fabulous to have a strip of shiny chrome following the curves.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, subzero! I don't know what I'm more excited about - the chrome band or having a kitchen sink again after 3 months of doing without... Gotten used to stray bits of broccoli floating past me while in the bathtub where we've been washing dishes during this tear-down. It's high time to put this project in the can!

Holly

Hey! Broccoli is good for you! As a sidebar, the carpenter wants to use plumber's putty under the lip/flange/thing of the new sink (it has a 1' lip) rather than the foam gasket it came with. Is this overkill that will gum up my precious countertops or is he just being conscientious?

Thank you for the welcome, oldog/newtrick. I may have missed introducing myself in the correct forum and just dived in with my questions... sorry for any breach in etiquette.

I have to go and drink some wine now to prepare for the big day tomorrow.

Night,
Holly

Holly, welcome to House Repair Talk. Etiquette is not our best virtue. Jump right in where ever you have a question or can help others with questions.

I think you are correct.

God knows I can get myself into plenty of trouble on these forums from time to time and none of it has anything to do with eddyquit.:D That's cause I have none!

We don't got no stinkin' etiquette up here either as long as the Queen ain't visiting! Except we do plant flowers in the old toilets in our front yards :) We've even been known to go so far as to paint the empty beer cases holding up our sagging porches and dead cars.

And Hooray! The countertops and sink are in! No more broccoli baths! We didn't get the aluminium banding on because the plumbing required some gymnastics and two trips for supplies and some really meaningful swearing. (new sink drain is not centered like the old one was and we had to work with the old cast iron drain pipe angle) Looks fabulous.

We played with a strip of the edge banding and it will be a piece of cake - takes the curves as it was designed to.

Today was a very good day!

Cheers,
Holly

This thread isn't totally worthless without pitchures cause hell, we already lurned whom has eddyquit and whom ain't got none. AND, we now have a new recipe for making broccili soup. :)

Pitchures would be extra nice tho.:clap:

Rats! I'm just home from a 12 hour shift. Registered with Photobucket and managed to move some pics there, but now I can't figure out how to get them into my message. Apparently work sucked my brains out today. Please advise how to get these pics posted. Too pooped to be embarrasse by my lack of techspertise.

thanks guys,
Holly

Latest posts

Back