pipe won't come off

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank0

Reaction score
Had a leak in outdoor faucet that comes out of the front of the house. I tried to replace the washer on the end of the rod that goes into the house. The big drip continued so I was forced to break into the wall to access the the pipe and try to remove and replace. I am unable to get the pipe fittings to come loose after applying some serious pressure on the wrench.

Not sure what to try next, maybe a torch to heat up the fittings?

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

20131228_170224.jpg

Use a pipe wrench. You will not loosen that with vise grips or pliers.

This is NOT pretty or easy. Because everything is threaded, you cannot easily make a repair. If you want to disconnect this union, you will have to cut into the intersection and replace the piping with copper.

Sorry ... sometimes, the small things lead to larger problems.

If I can't find a way to fix it via rod replacement could the average handyman help me replace the pipe or is it a plumber job?

OK got a plumber coming over Tuesday for $125 including the faucet. Less than I was expecting. :)

Last edited:
Get
http://www.google.com/search?q="cut...what-are-these-dremel-thingies-for%2F;375;321
chuck it in your drill and make one or two lengthwise cuts on the union just deep enough to cut through the wall of the union then use a screwdriver in the cuts to pry open the gaps. Rust resists shearing forces but is weak in resisting tensile forces and you will be putting a lot of tension on the rust bond.

Also, for reasons I don't understand, tightening the joint 1/8 turn may crack it loose.

It's the same technique for freeing painted-shut windows. No double-hung window is ever closed entirely so whacking it in the closing direction with a wood block buffer between the window and the hammer breaks the paint bond by moving the window edge frame a sixteenth or so.

Last edited:
Speedbump, I believe he meant coupler but, there is no coupler in the pic either.
I would throw fire on it for a few minutes, that will get you past the pipe dope.
Use MAPP gas and a pipe wrench.
We will settle for either the frost free nipple or the galvanized nipple coming loose, from there it's all downhill.

Speedbump, I believe he meant coupler but, there is no coupler in the pic either.
I would throw fire on it for a few minutes, that will get you past the pipe dope.
Use MAPP gas and a pipe wrench.
We will settle for either the frost free nipple or the galvanized nipple coming loose, from there it's all downhill.
I agree. Heat would help. He might want to have someone standing by with a bucket of water just in case, since it's in a wall.

I think a couple of 14" Ridgid Pipe Wrenches would do the job.

Unless the plumber changes his price when he arrives I'm going to let him do it. After reading Villa's comments and getting the quote I figured its worth the money to be done with it. I still get to repair the hole and the drywall damage at the bottom of the closet where water seeped in from the outside leak. There's no end to house work :)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions

Back