the kitchen paint is pealing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justacook

Reaction score
My kitchen was painted about 2 years by "profession painters" (sorry about my spelling) my problem is how to remove the layer of that paint which is peeling on the ceiling and rolling into little balls as the wife wipes down around the sink with a wet rag exposing at least 3 more differt colors of paint. what is the best to prep this kitchen so the paint will stay on the wall. pretty sure I cant sand this rolling paint. any ideas?

Sorry this happened. Inside, you don't just want to scrape and paint. Rather, you will want to remove as much of the peeling paint as possible. Then skim coat with joint compound, finish, prime, and repaint. Keep in mind that any paint that continues to peel will also bring up your skim coat with it. Better yet, you could just cover all your ceiling with new drywall installed and then tape and finish - for just the ceiling alone that would work and give you a new surface that can be prepped right.

Just a thought - you don't have moisture above your ceiling possibly causing this?

Thank you for your information, and to check the attic for mosture bever crosed my mind. I have never noticed any before, but never really been looking for moisture when I have been up there. thanks again

Back