Advise re use of Reciprocating saw demo built up roof's rake.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WallyPop

Reaction score
Converting flat roof garage (built up hot asphalt/felt layers on 3/4" plywood deck) to 4/12 pitch. Need to remove flat roof's rake to extend flat roof's sheathing up to the added new gable. Need advice re best tooth choice since I'll be cutting roughly a 1" thickness of mopped asphalt-felt, insulation, plywood and the occasional nails.

I experimented with a circular saw, to no avail. (Chose it first for ease in controlling depth and direction of cut.) The asphalt migrates into the saw's guard, spindle, etc. resulting in a clogged up mess.

I optimistically hope the reciprocating saw will work better, hence the blade tooth info request. But if some one has other suggestions, please be my guest.

Hello Wally:
Lenox makes a blade that is called 'The Hatchet' that has wicked looking teeth, is extra long and extra thick; just made for demolition work.
Glenn

The skillsaw is my option. I know it fills up, it just takes a little unplug and a good cleaning with a screwdriver.
I know this sounds neanderthal ...but it beats the sawzall hands down.
You can try the blade Glenn suggested also, it just takes a lot longer.
I put a used carbide tipped circular saw blade in, and have at it.. I use a Makita saw. If you can find a wormdrive circular saw, nothing stops them.
Also, some WD-40 cleans up the tar really well..try it.
It's just a tough job. The last option is rent a demo saw...they cut anything, it's what the firefighters use to cut through a roof.
Good luck. Wear your saftey glasses.:eek:

Thanks guys. I think I'll go with "the hatchet". As I stated, the asphalt/felt layers plus deteriorated plywood decking are no challenge for the blades. But my circular saw, just couldn't keep the asphalt from migrating into the saw's mechanism. I'd probably have an easier time when our temperature is below freezing and the asphalt is hard and brittle. But my time is now, 80 deg F.

Right now it's raining, the flat roof is puddling anf I'm waiting to get back at it.

I'll keep you posted.

Appreciatively,

WallyPoP

Back