Zone valve or Tstat?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
took a screw with me. I still wasn't convinced that it was 8-32 ...just didn't look like it. But I finally was convinced by the guy at HD. Bought a tap, tried it in a piece of scrap, using one of the old screws and it looks like it should work fine. Right now i have a c-clamp holding the fourth corner of the valve. So at least we have the boiler running. tomorrow surgery will begin.

took a screw with me. I still wasn't convinced that it was 8-32 ...just didn't look like it. But I finally was convinced by the guy at HD. Bought a tap, tried it in a piece of scrap, using one of the old screws and it looks like it should work fine. Right now i have a c-clamp holding the fourth corner of the valve. So at least we have the boiler running. tomorrow surgery will begin.

Oldog would tell to leave the clamp, good enough.:p

I prefer a vice grip over a C clamp for a long term fix like that. I once drove a pickup with a vice grip as the three on the tree shifter for a whole summer. State inspection said “No”.

PS: A number 29 drill is the correct tap drill for 8-32 that’s .136” if I was trying to drill out a screw 8-32 I would go with a 1/8 drill for starters. A good method to get on center is to bolt the other half in place and then get a drill close to the clearance hole and let the mating half be the drill jig and just drill a slight amount into the location to make a drill point. Then take it apart and locate off that point.

Hmmm. lost my last post. Maybe I never hit the button.

Anyways.. I did tap that sucker this afternoon and it works. The old ball valve was so stiff I could hardly turn by hand, the new one was very easy to turn. So I have faith that was the whole fix. I'm waiting to see now if it holds temp thru the night.
BTW; the valve didn't leak when I removed the c-clamp. It was holding on just 3 screws.

Hmmm. lost my last post. Maybe I never hit the button.

Anyways.. I did tap that sucker this afternoon and it works. The old ball valve was so stiff I could hardly turn by hand, the new one was very easy to turn. So I have faith that was the whole fix. I'm waiting to see now if it holds temp thru the night.
BTW; the valve didn't leak when I removed the c-clamp. It was holding on just 3 screws.

It was just waiting for you to trust it.

Back