Problems with main valve to toilet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azmiranda

Reaction score
My toilet was running non stop last evening so before I turned in last night I turned it off. I live alone and I have done this many times in the past before I got it fixed but this morning when I got up the valve does not turn on at all. The rest of the plumbing in the house works fine. Any ideas?

Sounds like the shut off valve went bad. You'll have to turn off the main and remove the toilet valve for inspection/repair and/or replacement.

Hi AzMiranda,

As Kok328 said, something's wrong with the valve and you'll need to shut off the water and disassemble the valve to see what went wrong. I am providing you a picture of the inside of these toilet shut off valves so you can know what to expect. Most likely, the washer has become dislodged and will need to be removed or the entire shutoff may need to be replaced.

If you open the valve and find nothing wrong with it then it is also possible that the toilet fill-valve has gotten plugged up with sediment/washer materials and will need to be cleaned/cleared of sediment. Chek out a video on how to clean/clear right here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caI1iADQPVA]YouTube - ‪Toilet Ballcock Valve Cleaning and Repair - Flowmax valves‬‏[/ame]

Good luck!

Toilet%20angle%20valve.jpg

Back