Laminate on Front Porch, What were they thinking???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WATERYGRAVE

Hey Ho, Let's Go!
Reaction score
This is my first real post, anyway...
I have a brick bungalow with an attached front porch, cement top, 2 steps down to the walk... anyways the people here before us had green astroturf glued down to the top that my wife immediately had me pull up. It had a rubber backing that stuck, not to the cement porch... but to two layers of paint, that are on top of, not the cement porch but what looks like kitchen laminate... you know that stuff that is white with little specks of gold dust in it...:confused:
So... Long story short, I have been tring to pull up the bottom layer, my best plan so far has been a heat gun and a putt knife but it is taking a few hours to pull up barely a 1sq ft area. The laminate comes up in patches 1 in by 1 in often, but usually just little scraps.:mad:
I am looking for any suggestions ot ease this job.
Also the face of the cement is cracked in a couple spaces, can I just mix up some cement and fill it in, smooth it down and be happy?

I use a floor scraper( carefull they are extremly sharp) most of the time.
What do you plan on puting down, most of the time I use Concrete patch for small cracks.

We were hoping to have a regular old cement looking top, however the glue seems to be filling in alot of the little porous holes so it seems as though we should cover it up. My wife wants to paint it a darker grey to go with some landscaping stones in front of the porch. Not sure yet. I still need to remove the laminate before anything.

Hey Waterygrave:
consider checking with the local tool rental place for a carpet and vinyl removal machine. It incorporates a 12" scraper blade that oscillates against the floor. You could start where you have been popping some spots loose.
Glenn

Back