metal rafters

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmars

Reaction score
I have four sagging rafters in garage in my 1952 home. They are 2x6 and all side by side. All four have knots in about the same location, resulting in sagging. I got 4 2x6s to sister these, but that's a lot of weight to add side by side. So, Im thinking of using angle iron, as least for two of them.
Thoughts?

4/12 pitch. 12.5' rafter length. Single layer of shingles, which will be removed and replaced soon. House has no trusses or rafter ties. I will be adding a few rafter and collar ties.

tks,
pa

2x6s sistered on, should work. start with just shorter than full span and fit and nail with lots of nails just on one end and then find a way to wedge the other end up and finish nailing them. Then add callor ties.

Paul, it it was my house and I was going to replace the roof soon, I would wait till the shingles are tore off and do the rafter work at that time. Less weight to try and move. Just a thought and my :2cents:

Paul, it it was my house and I was going to replace the roof soon, I would wait till the shingles are tore off and do the rafter work at that time. Less weight to try and move. Just a thought and my :2cents:

Did you miss the part about suspect knots all in a row. It is true; you likely wouldn't fall thru if you broke a rafter but that would not be a good place to have a heart attack or just loose your balance.:D

Did you miss the part about suspect knots all in a row. It is true; you likely wouldn't fall thru if you broke a rafter but that would not be a good place to have a heart attack or just loose your balance.:D

Nope, didn't miss it. Experience has shown me that trying to take out sage in a roof deck is a lot easier without out the weight of the shingles on the roof deck.

Back