Is this settling or foundation damage?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kekilakeuma

Reaction score
I have a new home, built in 2009 and about 7 to 8 months ago a crack appeared in the kitchen tile. Since I figured it was just the house settling, I didnt think to much of it. I just pulled up the cracked tile to replace it and saw that there is a crack in the slab.

I attached pictures. One still has the thinset on it and the other two I have chipped it away. The crack in the slab is not very wide, its about a .5 pencil wide. Im hoping that since it has been so long and isnt wider its just settling.

I did a cursory check out side and didnt see any cracks. I will do a more in depth look tomorrow when I have day light.

thanks.
kila

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

Shrinkage, is what it is. And without a cut joint when they installed the concrete floor, it may happen somewhere else.
Welcome to the nature of concrete. This is typical installation unless you get a really good contractor.
You could have someone cut a line down into the concerete at one of your grout lines, this will give it a control joint along which to crack in the future. Then you are just fixing grout.
Hope this helps someone who will be installing tile over concrete, and :welcome:

Yeah you can, but it may happen again. just the nature of what you have.
They do make a membrane material that can help bridge that crack, contact your local tile supply store, not a box store and talk to them about what you are doing.

They say it's not a matter if of "if" but "when" it will crack. I find it odd that some don't crack and I am convinced that the fill under the slab was not compacted before the floor went in. Check real close for cracks in the foundation. You would then have a warrenty claim for it.

Back