The best way attach wood posts to a concrete surface?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckywinks

Reaction score
Hello friends. I'm becoming a regular DIY'er and really doing many smaller and handyman type projects on my own. I'm now spending more $$$ at the local Home Depot than at the grocery store so I guess that qualifies me as a an official DIY'er! LOL
If I am capable and I can physically take on the task I'm willing to try. I simply need the how-to and a little encouragement. I'm a woman with a lot of ingenuity and ambition and home which needs much attention.

I have an old concrete driveway that was likely poured in the 1950s. This was my grandmother's home. I'd like to add a pergola-styled 15" fence from the garage to the house with 6x6 posts. I will likely add onto this at a future date and extend the pergola out over both sides to build a pergola covered area. Right now I simply need a fence and gate in this immediate area.

I'm having difficulty determining how to set or attach these posts to the concrete. What are the recommendations or suggestions? Shall I cut concrete, use Simpson post brackets? I'm on a modest budget and have several other posts I wish to attach to concrete in the future around the pool area so if it makes sense to hire someone to cut concrete to set posts into new concrete, so be it. The Simpson ABA66Z Strong Tie brackets are pricey and I don't understand if this is a correct item to use or if there is an alternative product or less expensive option. I want to go with the least expensive method but am also not very interested in mixing a bunch of concrete either!

I'd love to hear any of your ideas, suggestions. Many thanks!

Right normally = more expensive.

Is there going to be any roof or future plans for a roof in this case?

Check with your local code enforcement agency to see what their requirements are and start with that. Make sure they allow for slab on grade installation.

WindowsonWashington said:
Right normally = more expensive.

Is there going to be any roof or future plans for a roof in this case?

Check with your local code enforcement agency to see what their requirements are and start with that. Make sure they allow for slab on grade installation.

I shall do that but in the mean time this likely to be a free standing structure.

Also what about pouring a new concrete squareform or circular post base atop the concrete drivewayand inserting a simpson bracket into that? Will that suffice? If so, way should the dimensions be?
Thanks!

luckywinks said:
I shall do that but in the mean time this likely to be a free standing structure.

Also what about pouring a new concrete squareform or circular post base atop the concrete drivewayand inserting a simpson bracket into that? Will that suffice? If so, way should the dimensions be?
Thanks!

Yes, I do plan to add a pergola style roof on both sides of the fence as I extend out.

Latest posts

Back