Cabinets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TxBuilder

Any cabinet makers here?

What kind of material do you use?

I got a quote from several places and all of them sell particle board with a veener on it as their material.

Is getting solid wood cabinets an arm and leg?

Solid wood cabinets are becoming very rare.
I still use plywood carcasses and wood frames.
I don't build a lot of cabinets, but i build customs.
The particle board is just too fragile for my taste.
Pricewise, P-board is cheaper, it's easier for the major manufacturers to handle and there's less waste for them.
A custom builder can use whatever you want, you pay for quality though, because the real wood requires much more work in the finishing.

There is a specific name for the material they make the box out of. It's supposed to be really sterile as well. I'm going to look into building the boxes myself then having someone do the doors.

You talking about Melamine? Laminated on both sides?
That stuff is very popular. Its the first choice for hospitals and most solid color color cabinets. It requires some special equipment to get really good cuts. But, the finish surface is tough. Burn resistant, resistant to many chemicals. It's a thin Formica like finish. Just like most countertops.
If I was going to go with anything other than solid wood and plywood, melamine is the way I'd go.

Regarding cabinets, and installation of ovens I have a question for you two...
cabinets002.jpg

I installed this cabinet and need to alter it for 2 ovens, widen the opening at the bottom, narrow the opening at the top, install a divider between the two and build shelves to support the ovens.

The cabinet has small holes running up and down the insides on the left and right, for a shelf that came with it. How would I determine if that shelf is meant to support an oven?

Hello Harleysilo:
If the shelf is made of particle board it will not support the oven. You should be able to cut the bottom wider with a carbide tooth blade and a fairly new circular saw. I would want to mortise in a 2" or more divider between the two with a 1/4" X 1/2" notch across the top inside of it. Then glue and screw cleats to the other 3 walls, add a piece of cabinet grade 1/2" plywood for the top oven to set on.
Now, to make the top narrower simply screw some prefinished wood fillers on each side.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back