Recycled parts and other uses.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspectorD

Housebroken
Reaction score
Does anyone ever use something for which it has another use. For example, I use an old dish soap bottle for spreading glue . I buy glue by the 5 gallon bucket and I also use this for oil or any other liquids you can buy in bulk.
I also use a wire nut for caulking tubes I have cut open. Whenever I do any electrical work I save the old wire nuts and boxes. Then cut the wire to bring to the scrapyard eventually. It goes into a 5 gallon recycled bucket. When it gets full, its darn heavy...and worth $100 bucks depending on the market.

Anyone have any other recycled ideas.:D
Every bit helps...one drop at a time fills the bucket.;)
Add a drop..................

Yea, I have an aluminum bucket and a brass & copper bucket that I recycle every couple of years. With the recent run up of copper prices it is worth the effort.

Ive had two drywall t-squares and when they go out of square I grind the rivits and turn them into staight edges.

I just cut the bottom off an old garbage can with a lid so my wife could bury it in the ground for a compost bin. Keeps the smaller animals out, the bears do what they want anyway.:eek:
I also have the kids recycling some strange shaped plastic bottles into bird feeders, fun for them anyway.:D

Anyone have something new , or even an idea?

Please share it.:D

I have been doing a total remodel of a home for the past 8 weeks...or so...intermittently.:)
One of the things I am doing is changing the house layout and removing walls and ceilings throughout the home.
The great thing about this is the house has plenty of wood the homeowner does not want to recycle, they want all new stuff.
When this is the case, I end up with lots of used studs and joists, these are 12 footers. I have about 24 joists, and 40 studs to start with. I also have the tongue and grove siding which is pine. I will use that for a paneling inside my shed. I have cleaned them up, by removing all the nails and sizing them up. I am building the boys a picnic table out of the 2x4s and the joists will become rafters on my shed porch.
My suggestion is this, go to www.craigslist.com or post a wanted sign at your local lumber yard to get salvageable material.Talk to the local hardware guy about what you are looking for , they talk to everyone. Stop by a job in progress, don't be afraid, you may be a welcome because dumpster fees are outrageous with gas prices. The less they have to throw in the dumpster the better. Too much goes to the landfill, and if contractors know you will take the material, some will pile it up for you. Or talk to homeowners who are remodeling, then the contractor will save it for you.
Just tryin to get folks to recycle parts.
One mans studs are another mans shed, picnic table, wainscoting.....cabin in the woods someday.....did I mention the free part?:D

I just received a homemade bandsaw mill from my cousin because he no longer has the time for it. It needed a new 16 hp motor. So I went to the local lawn mower repairman in town to see what was not being used. I asked him if he had anything around with a horizontal shaft, and it just so happened he had an old wheel-horse tractor with a 16 hp motor. Had not been run in a while and I could just have it, just to get it out of the place, plus he wanted it put to good use....he has to many projects already.
I took it home, fixed the electrical, new gas....vrooom.:D
Next I went to get some scrap metal from another Friend to fix the new motor mounts to the saw chassis. I always have wood layin around and he usually has metal. Finally I borrowed the welder from my other builder buddy and got to work. Around here we always share tools and keep them up on maintenance, it's cheaper that way for everyone. Now he gets to use the sawmill.:eek:
Now to cut some logs for my new barn.

This is just another way to recycle stuff and help out others.:D

Old reading , and ideas. I went to the library today with the boys, keeps me sane. I found an old farmers idea book about homestead ideas.
One of the ideas is to use an old garden hose cut into 3 inch strips. They attach the pieces to a scrapboard and it can hold tools. I think this is a great way to hold screwdrivers, pliers, files ,chisels or anything else you can think of.
Just passin it along, I'll post more as I read more.:)

Great Thread!
We took a old pull camper trailer and converted it into a chicken coop. It's 16' long, insulated and wired for heating in the winter. Took the wheels/axel off and set it onto the ground.......Instead of building one out of wood for $1500.00 - we bought the trailer for $150, plus parts $60.....A wonderful recycled coop/trailer for $210 bucks!

Some great ideas on recycling! You have definately got me excited to look and to find ways of incorporating recycling into our lifestyle. Thanks for the great tips and ideas!

I just received a homemade bandsaw mill from my cousin because he no longer has the time for it.
Now to cut some logs for my new barn.

This is just another way to recycle stuff and help out others.:D

Inspector, you still using the band saw? Did you build the barn? Wheres the pics?

Nice...way to dig up old dirt...you out cruizin the pages are ya??:D

yes, the mill is up and running, but I have no pics yet....and who has time to build a barn, I'm still cuttin firewood!! Guess i better get movin.....:help:

When I think about recycling I used to think about sending things to the right recycle bin instead of trying to recycle things myself. I have come to realise that the garden is a wonderful way to recycle. You can reuse what you have in your garden in practical ways or in artistic and fun ways. :)

Some ideas that I have come across. Keep birds away from fruits and vegetables with items that reflect light. Use string to hang old CDs, tin can lids, or aluminium pie plates from a fence.

Use broken dishes, pottery and glass to make mosaic stepping stones for your garden. Old teacups make interesting bird feeders and you can use old plastic bowls in the garden; cover them with concrete and turn them into bird baths.

Old gates and railings can be recycled into a trellis for climbing plants. Hammer the gate or railing into the ground beside the plants and they will train to the new “trellis” as they grow. Isn't it exciting! ;)

An informative site: Recycling: Creative ideas for household discards - Home & Garden (Other) - Helium

I love this thread! Right now I am building a shed out of anything free, or found. The floor is 4 pallets covered with plywood. The frame is chain link fence and trampoline parts. Tin roofing from a friend. I still need siding but ya never know what tomorrow will drop in your lap. :beer:

Back