Switch from boiler to forced air gas

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fartman

Reaction score
I am looking at a brick house built in 1929 (plaster walls) that currently has a boiler system (radiators). The house has been sitting for a couple of years and we don't think the pipes will hold up. I can get a really good deal on the house but I'm wondering what it would cost to install a forced air gas system including all ductwork. I am assuming this may be rather expensive because of the plaster walls and brick. Also the house is approximatly 2500 sq. feet.

Putting in the ductwork may be quite a challenge if the house wasn't made with them in mind.

I too have radiator heat in my house. If/when I need to replace the boiler, I plan to look into sub-floor radiant heat.

Hello Fartman:

I switched from a hot water heating system to a groud source heat pump which I am happy with. However, I really miss the warm floors since the hot water is not circulating any more.

Perhaps you could consider a new High-Effiency boiler and a Unico air conditioning system which can be installed in older homes without major disruptions.

Glenn

Hey Fartman:

Try a google on Unico and, if that doesn't work, let me know. I can mail you a brochure on it. I used to sell them years ago and that is not the only brand; its just the only one I still have a brochure on.

My scanner is on the fritz, saying its not programed for scanning. If I can get that remedied I will post it for you.

Glenn

Here is another solution for your air conditioning, Fartman
SPACEPAC.COM
They are the original manufacturers of the hi-velocity, quiet and unobtrusive air conditioner. Look their brochure over, I think you'll be impressed.

Glenn

It might be really expensive because there may be no good spots to put the ducts in. I would still hope that you could have it done for $20k or less. Expect to have to tweak the vents to balance the heat or cooling to your liking. Of course without seeing the layout, I can't be sure. I had my last house switched over for about $8,500, but it was a 1300 sq ft single story, and pretty open. I also had a limited amount of vents, but in this design it did work. I will say that I was much happier with the forced air than the boiler, and I did have to put a new boiler in about 5 years earlier...You will be smart to get a few quotes before writing an offer, or write in your offer that it is contingent on getting an acceptable quote. ;)

Back