recaulking the tub

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALPS

Reaction score
Once again, the caulk has started to separate from the surround. This happened about 18 months ago, wasn't caught in time and turned into a huge project (new surround,new drywall behind the surround...)

Any one have tips to help me prepare the joint or apply the caulk to prevent this from happening again?

I thought I did it right the last time. Everything was clean and dry, wiped down with alcohol, I used GE silicone II Kitchen and Bath caulk and pushed the gun to force more caulk into the jouint and allowed it to cure for 48hours.

I've removed about 10"of caulk from the tub to surround joint and have had a fan on it all day to dry out any moisture that may have leaked in. Do I need to peel the caulk from the entire seam, or can I just do the one small area and have the new caulk bond to the old?

Silicone does not stick to silicone so you will have to remove all of it. Fill the tub half full of water before reapplying. I think whats happening here is as soon as some one steps into the tub it breaks the seal. To much silicone can be a problem to so " how much gap was there?

Oh well thats not to much of a gap. Try dap silicone and really check carefully for moisture before reapplying.

Back