Squirrelly!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
floatr, I haven't found anything that deters them. Even though the neighborhood cats chase them, they come back. I went to Tractor Supply Company and got a trap for $35. I used apple slices for bait, and I think I caught 9 total. Took them and released them in a nature area by a lake 10 miles from the house. Humane, nice area for them to live, and they won't come back.

We have had little fur terrorist in our attic a couple of times, they will do a lot of damage if you do not get them outa there.
I used a HavaHart trap for a while and trapped at least 16 but they got wise to it and stopped going into it no matter what I used as bait.
So I ended up just giving the rest of them lead poisoning with my air rifle.

I live in a townhome in the city, but my air rifle is virtually silent and is more than powerful enough to kill a squirrel in its tracks out to at least 50+ yards.
Quality air rifles are also extremely accurate, I can hit a dime usually 10 outa 10 shots at 50 yards and can bust an aspirin probably 80% of the time under 25 yards.
I have killed at least 15 or more with my air rifle.
Any air rifle that shoots at least 600 fps with a .177 pellet is enough to humanely take a squirrel out to 25 yards.
Mine shoots about 850fps with a mid weight 8.6gr .177 pellet

yum yum yum squirrel stew. or fried squirrel with squirrel gravy on biscuits

love me some rodent!!!!!!!!!

untitled.png

We have had little fur terrorist in our attic a couple of times, they will do a lot of damage if you do not get them outa there.
I used a HavaHart trap for a while and trapped at least 16 but they got wise to it and stopped going into it no matter what I used as bait.
So I ended up just giving the rest of them lead poisoning with my air rifle.

I live in a townhome in the city, but my air rifle is virtually silent and is more than powerful enough to kill a squirrel in its tracks out to at least 50+ yards.
Quality air rifles are also extremely accurate, I can hit a dime usually 10 outa 10 shots at 50 yards and can bust an aspirin probably 80% of the time under 25 yards.
I have killed at least 15 or more with my air rifle.
Any air rifle that shoots at least 600 fps with a .177 pellet is enough to humanely take a squirrel out to 25 yards.
Mine shoots about 850fps with a mid weight 8.6gr .177 pellet

I hope you go pick 'em up after they stop moving.

I'm sure you realize that if anybody ever sees that barrel pointing out a window (or something), that you will have a spit-load of explaining to do - with a bunch of guns pointing at you.

Squirells are considereed small game. Most areas are regulated by laws harvesting animals, liscense. Some states have wanton waste laws. If you don't plan on eating them, consider a live trap and relocate them.

I'm sure you realize that if anybody ever sees that barrel pointing out a window (or something), that you will have a spit-load of explaining to do - with a bunch of guns pointing at you.

Oh without any question considering we now live in what amounts to a Police State with an invading Paramilitary army.
Plus my air rifle does not look like a daisy red rider, it looks like a 30-06 with a silencer.

FWB 124D 001.jpg

Squirells are considereed small game. Most areas are regulated by laws harvesting animals, liscense. Some states have wanton waste laws. If you don't plan on eating them, consider a live trap and relocate them.

well fortunately in NC its called a "Depredation" thus I can trap or kill them if they are doing damage to my property.

""Wildlife Resources Commission manages wildlife in North Carolina. Updated regulations will take effect on Aug. 1 this year spelling out how residents can trap wildlife causing damage to property. Both the current and new regulations use the term “taking” to describe killing or capturing wildlife and refer to the damage caused by wildlife as “depredations.”
The revised regulations clarify that a property owner or lessee does not need a permit to take wildlife caught in the act of committing depredations on his or her property."

Now I did in fact trap at least 16 of them with a Hava Heart trap and relocate them all about 2 miles away in a large wooded area.
However they started getting far too smart and became virtually impossible to catch them. I went from catching 2-3 a day to where I would catch zero in weeks.
Even though I actually like squirrels in general, they are a major nuisance and will do massive damage to a house, not to mention they destroy everything we have in our yard, eat all my blueberries etc.
So every once in awhile I pull out the old pellet rifle and take a few of them out just to try and maintain some semblance of control.

Not everyone lives in Wussie Jersey like we do. The OP may live somewhere that people actually mind their own business and aren't afraid of their shadow.

OP, .22 Super Colibris don't over penetrate, have a lot more thump than most air rifles, and are quieter than most to boot.

Last edited:
Not everyone lives in Wussie Jersey like we do. The OP may live somewhere that people actually mind their own business and aren't afraid of their shadow.

OP, .22 Super Colibris don't over penetrate, have a lot more thump than an air rifle, and are quieter to boot.

My immediate neighbors on both sides are no problem and in fact encourage me to shoot squirrels, however I am sure there are some around here that would freak out and call the Paramilitary.

Ummm I have to disagree on the .22 Colibris at least Vs my Feinwerkbau 124D air rifle of which is dead silent if you are standing more than about 15 yards away the only thing that can be heard is simply the pellet zzzzziiippppp by you and thump where it hits.
Plus my FWB 124 I can put 10 shots under a dime at 50 yards and put 15 shots in 1 1/2" at 100 yards.
and BTW my air rifle has MORE power at about 13+FPE whereas the Colibris are only 11FPE and not as accurate.

Back in the 80s the grandfather of one of my best friends had an Avocado farm around Hemet California, was well over 1000 acres.
For a couple of years we went there for Thanksgiving and I shot 2 Wild Turkeys both around 18-20# with my air rifle, same one I still own today.
Both about 40 yards away, both dropped in their tracks with a head shot.
All the hunting that I have done in 35 years has been with my air rifle, Rabbits, Dove, Quail, Grouse pesting squirrels and one rabid Raccoon.

I use Predator pellets so over penetration isn't really a problem

Could you define "over penetration" for us non-hunters?

Means going completely through the target and even having enough left over to do damage to something else well past the target.
Or sometimes just zipping right though a squirrel and not doing a whole lot of damage.

Back