repair or replace?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cibula11

Reaction score
I have a large (96x48) casement picture casement window in my kitchen. The casements are getting condensation and on one of them the exterior pane is broken. I priced some cheaper vinyl windows and it was going to cost me $800 for a new window. Any ideas what it might cost to replace the glass instead?

I'm leaning towards replacing the whole window because we will be putting in a new casement in another area of the kitchen, but $800 seemed hefty for a window in a starter home.

maybe YOU want to try the repair. The Handyguys did a show in doing this yourself. Its a podcast - give it a listen at
http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/32/episode-7-broken-glass
Even if your windows is not exactly the same the process should be similar.

I need to retract what I said, maybe - 96"x48"? Thats big. If its smaller sections then go for it. If its one big piece of glass then $800 may be a good price for an entire new window.

Thanks for the advice. I've now noticed that both casements are trapping moisture and the brick moulding is rotting on the outside. I figure with all the hassle of repairing I would be better off spending a couple benjamin's more and getting a new one. Plus, new window = another summer project:D

Back