DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > It could be so, so beautiful, and the wife would be happy...

Old 03-10-2017, 08:02 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 249 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
I'm not a fan of the way the roofers did the flashing, but it's on the back side of the house, so I'm probably the only one it bothers. The cap was just patched together after the tornado, in this photo. I've since replaced it and installed a new liner when I replaced the furnace last fall.
Geez... they used cut down dripedge, and no let-in to the mortar joints. That's gonna fail sooner than later unfortunately. Not to mention it doesn't look all that nice. Hope they dont do that for everyone...

Old 03-10-2017, 08:14 PM  
Gary
Liked 101 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Geez... they used cut down dripedge, and no let-in to the mortar joints. That's gonna fail sooner than later unfortunately. Not to mention it doesn't look all that nice. Hope they don't do that for everyone...
Oh it's in the mortar and in the brick. They cut a slot through it all with a masonry saw. It won't leak, but it looks terrible to me. I had nice step flashing in the mortar joints and it was nearly unnoticeable from the ground. I didn't see this until after the fact or I would have stopped them.
And yes, from what I've gathered, that's their S.O.P.

Last edited by Gary; 03-10-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:36 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1284 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 398

I agree with inspector, straight line flashing has a greater tendency of failure than step counter flashing. More of an issue is where is the bottom apron flashing? They put shingles over where it should show. If its nailed, they've compromised the flashing. I've never seen any details from any mfg that shows putting shingles over apron flashing.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:30 AM  
Gary
Liked 101 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
I agree with inspector, straight line flashing has a greater tendency of failure than step counter flashing. More of an issue is where is the bottom apron flashing? They put shingles over where it should show. If its nailed, they've compromised the flashing. I've never seen any details from any mfg that shows putting shingles over apron flashing.
I saw it after the fact, so it is what it is at this point. Wasn't my idea, but it's my problem. I believe they put step flashing under the shingles & then used this stuff to make a cap over the step flashing, cap doesn't go under the shingles. They did a chimney a couple houses down the same way. It's ugly on that house too.

Last edited by Gary; 03-11-2017 at 07:40 AM.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:11 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1284 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 398

It always helps to read the directions on the wrapper.