Electric Baseboard issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You probably need a lower wattage stat. The one you have can pull up to 22 amps.
Your not serious, I hope. A stat is only a switch. It does not draw power.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...VT9dNGI8w&sig2=9MmiHJYgnUsQEnJhYe42ZQ&cad=rja

PDF for the tstat .

What was wrong with the old tstat ?

For a 20 amp Circuit Breaker on 240 VAC single phase , your tstat has sufficient capacity .

By the way , for 3 hour or more duration of the load , you are only allowed 80% current draw for a CB or fuse . So the load , continuous , on a 20 amp CB , should be no more than 16 amps .

God bless
Wyr

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been myself.
After further help from members indicating that I may have finally lost it, I realize now that the rating for the thermostat is 22 amps and is not the cause of the problem.
Amp readings may reveal a failing heating element.

Yes , 5280 amp rating for the tstat is what it is rated to turn off & on , successfully , for what is hoped / expected to be , years .

You might tie 1 heater in & see if it trips the CB . Then try the other .

God bless
Wyr

Yes , 5280 amp rating for the tstat is what it is rated to turn off & on , successfully , for what is hoped / expected to be , years .

You might tie 1 heater in & see if it trips the CB . Then try the other .

God bless
Wyr

Maybe not, if one draws to much it still may not trip the breaker.
He would have to change the breaker to one that was the right size to run one unit, to be sure to find the bad one.

I think he needs a meter to read draw at the unit just before the breaker trips.

You might start with the manufacturers reistance rating for the heating coils and check them.

Back