DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Washing Machine On Laminate

Old 01-25-2017, 04:56 PM  
VanMark
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Washing Machine On Laminate

I have a front loading washing machine on top of 1 foot by 2 foot interlocking laminate.. Was vibrating (still is eventhough I levelled it) and digging into floor. Should I cut a board (plywood) to put under it to distribute weight?

Old 01-25-2017, 06:28 PM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 616 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 295

I also have a front loader and understand the violent movement you are referring to. I recently saw a set of "front load dampers" at a local big box store and plan on purchasing them myself soon. They are solid rubber, and about 3" tall, but this is why they are made, to stop that movement. Also, regarding plywood, being under something with such a great possibility of becoming wet, I'd say no.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:38 PM  
VanMark

If I was worried about plywood getting wet? Wouldnt I be about laminate? I was just thinking it would distribute weight better. Its on the main floor of a bungalow.
Sparky617 Likes This 
Old 01-27-2017, 01:43 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2567 Times on 2257 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

I agree wet is wet. Felts on the feet for tile but I like the idea of spreading the load too.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:57 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1025 Times on 850 Posts
Likes Given: 1688

Laminate would have the same issues with water that plywood has. You could think about a piece of sheet vinyl under there. Or even a flat sheet of PVC ( saw that recently at Home Depot). Not sure how much that would help distribute the load. Is the strength of your floor questionable?

Old 03-02-2017, 09:41 PM  
VanMark

Plywood wouldnt of been a good idea unless I screwed it right down. I did manage to put some wooden blocks in between floor joists that helped. Also found some rubber tiles I wedged beteen washer frame and floor. Got machine running fairly smoothly but GUESS WHAT. Machine broke (Samsung..poor design,spider gear cracked like most models do) Ended up buying a new top loader. Nice and quiet and doesnt shake the whole house.

People Like This