Thanks Mother Nature! Sewer line ditch digging.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShellbackBill

Reaction score
Off work today.
Cool outside, nice breeze.
Good day to dig that ditch, with a shovel.
Digging a ditch to bury a sewer line from my RV dump station behind the house.

Not too big a deal just about a shovel deep, a shovel wide, 100 feet long. Just good exercise.

Now the ground isn't level the length of the ditch.
It slopes up some then slopes down again.

Just as I'm almost done, Mother Nature chases me in the house with a rain shower.

Viola! That rain storm put enough water in my ditch to create a water level for me.

Instead of my overly complicated plan with laser levels, I drove three stakes into the bottom of my ditch. The tops are 21 inches above the water line, giving a perfect level line to reference the slope of my sewer line off of.

Now all I have to do is wait for Mother Nature dry up the water.

:thbup: Great trick, Use what you got I always say.

The ground is softer and easier to dig when it's a bit wet, but you first have to let the mud have it's time in the sun to get to that point. And just as that happens it will rain again. And again. And again. Let us know when you're finished next year!

Phil

The ground is softer and easier to dig when it's a bit wet, but you first have to let the mud have it's time in the sun to get to that point. And just as that happens it will rain again. And again. And again. Let us know when you're finished next year!

Phil

lol not around here. we have some clay that we call yazoo clay

when it gets wet you have to beat it off the shovel.

I got the ditch dug. Lacked about 10 feet when it started raining.

Took a few days for the ditch to mostly dry up.

Had to deepen it a bit in one area.

Sewer line is in. Next a conduit for the power cable. Then 3/4 PEX for water. PEX is rated for direct burial, so thats wha I am doing.

Basicaly a complete RV docking station.

Back