16 inches on centre

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I hate that. I wish it were based on spacing between, not where the centre lines up.

So, If I want to draw one mark and line up the edge to it, what would the measurements be?

If you are laying out a wall for studs. Mark one at 15 1/4" from the end and tack a nail there for the tape measure and mark the rest at 16s.

Keep in mind the dimension given between studs is for modern 2x4 studs that measure 1.5 x 3.5. Over the years that has changed as studs started out as actually 2x4. That is supposed to be the rough cut dimension and then the finishing takes it down to finished size. They do not take a quarter inch off all 4 sides of a stud. I have found studs in all sizes and shapes in different aged homes. In many 100 plus year old homes studs were spaced by the length of the carpenter’s hammer.

Around here if you get the Amish to build you a building and they have a mill the stud sizes will still be 2x4. Give or take an eight.

Keep in mind the dimension given between studs is for modern 2x4 studs that measure 1.5 x 3.5. Over the years that has changed as studs started out as actually 2x4. That is supposed to be the rough cut dimension and then the finishing takes it down to finished size. They do not take a quarter inch off all 4 sides of a stud. I have found studs in all sizes and shapes in different aged homes. In many 100 plus year old homes studs were spaced by the length of the carpenter’s hammer.

Around here if you get the Amish to build you a building and they have a mill the stud sizes will still be 2x4. Give or take an eight.

This is new construction.

In the days before 4x8 sheet goods, stud spacing wasn't as critical as it is today. Hanging your drywall horizontally allows you to adjust better if the stud spacing isn't perfect. It is much easier to cut drywall on the short axis than the long, and you're not killing the tapered edge if you shorten it by an inch on the 4' dimension.

In the days before 4x8 sheet goods, stud spacing wasn't as critical as it is today. Hanging your drywall horizontally allows you to adjust better if the stud spacing isn't perfect. It is much easier to cut drywall on the short axis than the long, and you're not killing the tapered edge if you shorten it by an inch on the 4' dimension.

Many now are trying to miss the stud or joist and using a strip called a butt splicer that draws the end joint in and allows for tape and mud and a flat finish without a gradual hump. :)

Many now are trying to miss the stud or joist and using a strip called a butt splicer that draws the end joint in and allows for tape and mud and a flat finish without a gradual hump. :)

This lay out is for plywood on the outside the drywall never fits.

Or, actually taking the time to learn the trade.

Is there nothing beneath a "jack-leg-laborers" dignity.

This lay out is for plywood on the outside the drywall never fits.

Yep, you can one or the other but not both. I lay out for the structure- outside sheathing- them trim the drywall as needed.

There are several shortcuts to doing stud layout, I hook the tape, mark each stud 3/4" back from the 16" marks in the tape,. then set the studs ahead. When I run out of tape length I drive a nail on the mark and mark on the marks from there on. Fast and foolproof.

Phil

Latest posts

Back